What condition does Terazosin Hydrochloride treat?
Terazosin Hydrochloride is used for the treatment of hypertension. Lowering high blood pressure may help prevent heart attack, stroke, or kidney problems.
This medication may also be used to treat symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). It is also known as an enlarged prostate and it happens in men. This drug helps relieve symptoms of BPH such as:
- Weak stream
- Difficulty in beginning the flow of urine
- The need to urinate urgently or frequently
Terazosin Hydrochloride belongs to the class of drugs called alpha-blockers. This medication was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How does Terazosin Hydrochloride work?
Terazosin Hydrochloride is a type of medicine known as selective for alpha-1-adrenoceptors. Alpha receptors are found on the muscle in the prostate gland. This gland is found only in men and lies at the top of the tube connecting the bladder to the outside. The prostate gland often enlarges with advancing age and presses on the urethra. This can cause symptoms such as difficulty passing urine. By blocking the alpha receptors in the prostate gland, this medicine causes the muscle in the prostate to relax. This allows urine to flow freely past the prostate and relieves the urinary symptoms of this condition.
In the muscle in the walls of blood vessels, alpha receptors are also found. By blocking these receptors, this medicine causes the muscle to relax and allows the blood vessels to widen. This lets the blood pass more easily through the blood vessels and hence decreases blood pressure.
What is the recommended dosage for Terazosin Hydrochloride?
Terazosin Hydrochloride is to be taken by mouth usually once daily at bedtime. You may take each dose with or without food. For the best result, remember to take it at the same time every day.
The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition and response. Your doctor will start this medication at a low dose and gradually increase your dose.
What are the side effects of Terazosin Hydrochloride?
- Blurred vision
- Stuffy nose
- Difficulty breathing
Tell your doctor if you have these serious side effects:
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Burning or tingling in the hands or feet
- Swelling of the ankles, feet, or hands
- Unexpected weight gain
What are the precautions in taking Terazosin Hydrochloride?
- Alcohol may enhance the blood pressure-lowering effect of this medicine, which may result in fainting or dizziness.
- This is not to be used to treat any other medical condition without a doctor’s consent.
- Do not share this with others even if they have the same symptoms as yours.
- This drug may cause dizziness and fatigue. You should take care when performing potentially hazardous activities such as operating machinery or driving until you know how this medication affects you and are sure you can perform such activities safely.
- If you are a pregnant or breastfeeding woman, consult your doctor first before using this drug.
- Keep this and all of your prescriptions far from the reach of children.