Potassium and Sodium Phosphate
Potassium and Sodium Phosphate is indicated for people who cannot get sufficient phosphorus from their diets. Phosphorus is a natural body mineral that is necessary for the body to function normally. It is required for building and keeping strong bones. This medication also helps control the amount of calcium in the body and urine.
How does Potassium and Sodium Phosphate work?
Potassium and Sodium Phosphate has a number of significant purposes in the biochemistry of the body. The majority of the body’s phosphorus is set in the bones, where it plays a key role in osteoclastic and osteoblastic activities. Enzymatically, catalyzed phosphate-transfer responses are frequent and vital in the metabolism of lipid, carbohydrate, and protein. It is also frequent and vital in a proper concentration of the anion is of primary importance in assuring an orderly biochemical sequence.
Furthermore, phosphorus has an important role in adjusting steady-state tissue concentrations of calcium. Phosphate ions are important buffers of the intracellular fluid. It also plays a primary role in the renal excretion of the hydrogen ion.
Why use Potassium and Sodium Phosphate?
Potassium and Sodium Phosphate is available as tablets with its brand name K-Phos Neutral. Each tablet contains:
- 852 mg of dibasic Sodium Phosphate anhydrous
- 155 mg of monobasic Potassium Phosphate
- 130 mg of monobasic Potassium Phosphate monohydrate
Each tablet yields approximately:
- 250 mg of phosphorus
- 298 mg of sodium
- 45 mg of potassium
This is supplied for oral use. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
How to use Potassium and Sodium Phosphate?
This prescription is to be taken regularly in order to get the most benefit from it. This is taken usually 4 times daily by mouth with meals and at bedtime. Take each dose with a full glass of water. After taking it, do not lie down for at least 10 minutes. Remember to take it at the same time every day. The dosage is based on your condition and response to it.
What are the side effects of Potassium and Sodium Phosphate?
- Stomach pain
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
- Unusual weight gain
- Increased thirst
- Decreased urine
- Bone or joint pain
- Muscle cramps
Warnings and Precautions
- It is very important to take this medication exactly as it is prescribed.
- Tell your doctor if you have any allergies before taking this drug.
- Do not share this with others even if they have the same condition as yours.
- You should not use this to treat any other condition without the prescription of a doctor.
- Inform your doctor about the medical history that you have.