Where is Phentermine used?
Phentermine is a medicine used in people to lose weight. This is used along with exercise and a proper diet. Losing weight helps you lessen certain health risks such as:
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
This is an FDA-approved medication that comes as a tablet for oral use.
How does Phentermine work?
Phentermine belongs in the group called sympathomimetic amines and is also known as an appetite suppressant. This medicine works by:
- Decreasing your appetite and increases the amount of energy used by your body.
- Affecting certain parts of the brain that stimulates the release of brain chemicals.
- Controlling your mind to control your appetite. Therefore, you will feel full and eat less.
How is Phentermine taken?
- The usual recommended dose is 15 to 37.5 mg taken once a day or as directed by your doctor.
- Each dose is administered 1 hour before breakfast or 1 to 2 hours after breakfast.
- Take the medicine by mouth with a full glass of water. Swallow it whole and do not chew or crush it.
- Your doctor may adjust your dose to take a small dose up to 3 times a day if needed.
- Taking a dose of this medicine late in the day may cause insomnia or trouble sleeping. Follow carefully the instructions given by your doctor.
- The dosage is based on your condition and response. Your doctor will adjust the dose to find the best for you. Do not take more or less than it is given.
- Take each dose at the same time and in the same way each day to help you remember taking them regularly.
- This medication may stop working well after you have been taking it for weeks. If the medicine stops working well, talk with your doctor right away.
What are the possible side effects of Phentermine?
Common side effects:
- Unpleasant taste
- Difficulty sleeping
If there are any other side effects occur, contact your health care provider right away.
What are the precautions in taking Phentermine?
- During pregnancy, even if you are overweight weight loss can harm an unborn baby. Do not take this medicine if you are pregnant. While having this medicine, inform your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
- Breastfeeding is not recommended while taking a dose of Phentermine.
- Do not take this drug if you have glaucoma, overactive thyroid, extreme agitation, or a history of drug abuse.
- Let your health care provider know if you take other diet pills.
- This prescription is not recommended for use in children 16 years of age and younger.
- Older adults should not take this medicine. This is not as safe as other medicines that can be used to treat the same condition.
- Alcohol could worsen some side effects of Phentermine. The safe usage of alcohol should be discussed with your doctor while you are having treatment with this medicine.
- Tell your health care provider if you have any allergies or if you ever had an allergic reaction to this before.