Ibrutinib General Information
- Waldenstrom’s macroglobulinemia
- Mantle cell lymphoma
- Small lymphocytic lymphoma
This medication may also be used to treat a certain problem that may occur after a stem cell transplant. It is also called chronic graft versus host disease.
How does Imbruvica (Ibrutinib) work?
Imbruvica (Ibrutinib) works in contradiction of cancerous B lymphocytes. These are a type of white blood cells affected by these diseases. It is by blocking an enzyme called Bruton’s tyrosine kinase. In which it promotes survival of B lymphocytes. It also promotes their migration to the organs where these cells normally divide. By blocking Bruton’s tyrosine kinase, this drug decreases the survival and migration of B lymphocytes. Thereby it delays the development of cancer.
Why use Imbruvica (Ibrutinib)?
Imbruvica (Ibrutinib) belongs to the class of medications known as kinase inhibitors. This product is supplied as tablets for oral administration. Each tablet is available in 70 mg, 140 mg, 280 mg, 420 mg, and 560 mg. It contains an active ingredient of Ibrutinib. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this prescription.
How to use Imbruvica (Ibrutinib)?
The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition, weight, and response. It is important to take each dose exactly as it is prescribed.
Take the drug by mouth with a full glass of water. It is usually taken once a day. You may take each dose with or without food. Swallow the medication as a whole. After taking the medicine, wash your hands properly. Remember to take it in the same way and at the same time every day. Let your doctor know if your condition persists or worsens.
What are the side-effects of Imbruvica (Ibrutinib)?
- Low platelet count
- Joint pain
- Swelling of the extremities
- Shortness of breath
- Abdominal pain
- Decreased appetite
Warnings and Precautions
- While taking this drug, avoid eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice.
- Tell your doctor if you have any medical history or current medications.
- Tell as well to your doctor if you have any allergies. This drug may contain an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- Do not share this or any of your prescription drugs with others even if they have the same symptoms as yours.
- Keep this at a dry and clean place away from heat and moisture.