What condition does Iloperidone treat?
Iloperidone is used for the treatment of schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is a mental disorder that affects how a person feels, thinks, and behaves. Individuals with schizophrenia might seem to look like they have lost touch with reality.
This medication will help you feel less nervous and think more clearly. This will also help you take part in your everyday life. It may lessen your hallucinations like hearing or seeing things that are not there.
Iloperidone is a psychiatric medicine. It belongs to the group of medications known as antipsychotics. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
How does Iloperidone work?
Iloperidone works in the brain to treat schizophrenia. It helps to restore the balance of certain natural substances in the brain. It rebalances serotonin and dopamine to improve mood, thinking, and behavior.
The full effect of this medication may take up until you are already taking your full dose.
What is the recommended dosage for Iloperidone?
This prescription is to be taken by mouth, twice a day, or as directed by your doctor. You may take each dose with or without food. The dosage is based on your response and condition.
Take this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. Remember to take it at the same time each day. Your doctor may direct you to start this at a low dose. Do not increase the dose without the prescription of your doctor.
The dose of this medication will be different for different patients. Follow the instructions given by your doctor. If your dosage differs, do not change it unless your doctor tells you to do so.
The amount of medicine that you take depends on the strength of the medicine. Also, the time allowed between doses, the number of doses you take each day, and the length of time you take the medicine to depend on the medical problem for which you are using the medicine.
What are the side effects of Iloperidone?
- Weight gain
- Dry mouth
- Stuffy nose
- Changes in menstrual periods
What are the precautions in taking Iloperidone?
- Iloperidone is not approved for use by anyone younger than 18 years old.
- Inform your doctor if you have any allergies before having this medication.
- Tell your doctor about any medical history that you had as well as if you have any current treatments or medications.
- Do not take this drug past the expiration date.
- Do not share this with others who have the same symptoms as yours.
- You should not breastfeed while you are taking this drug.
- Taking antipsychotic medication in the last 3 months of pregnancy might cause feeding problems, breathing problems, or symptoms of withdrawal in the newborn. If you get pregnant, tell your doctor right away. Do not stop taking this medicine without advice from your doctor.
- Iloperidone might increase the risk of death in people with dementia-related psychosis especially in older adults and is not approved for this use.
- Keep this in a dry and clean place.