What condition does Doxycycline Monohydrate treat?
Doxycycline Monohydrate is used for the treatment of a wide variety of bacterial infections. This may also be used to prevent malaria. It is a serious disease caused by parasites that are spread to people. It is through the bites of infected female Anopheles mosquitoes. However, this condition is preventable and curable.
This medication is known as a tetracycline antibiotic. This stops the growth of the bacteria. This medication has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How does Doxycycline Monohydrate work?
Doxycycline Monohydrate is believed to prevent translation by binding to the portion of the ribosome. It is by preventing the binding of tRNA to the RNA-30S bacterial ribosomal subunit. It is needed for the transfer of amino acids for protein synthesis. Consequently, the initiation of protein synthesis by polyribosome formation is blocked. This stops the replication of bacteria and produces a bacteriostatic effect.
What is the recommended dosage of Doxycycline Monohydrate?
This medication is taken by mouth usually 1 or 2 times daily or as directed by your doctor. Each dose is taken on an empty stomach, at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal. Take this medication with a full glass of water unless directed otherwise. If a stomach upset occurs, taking it with food or milk may help. However, this medicine may not work as well if you take it with food or milk, so ask your doctor if you may take it that way. Do not lie down for at least 10 minutes after taking this medication.
When using to prevent malaria, this medication is usually taken once daily. Take the first dose of this medication 1 to 2 days before travel or as directed by your doctor. Continue to take this medication daily while in the malarious area. Upon returning home, you should keep taking this medication for 4 more weeks. If you are unable to finish this course of this medication, contact your doctor.
Take this medication 2 to 3 hours before or after taking any products that contain calcium, aluminum, iron, zinc, magnesium, or bismuth subsalicylate.
What are the side effects of Doxycycline Monohydrate?
- Stomach upset
- Skin rash or itching
- Discharge or vaginal itching
Call your doctor right away if these happen:
- Painful or difficult swallowing
- Changes in the amount of urine
- Sunburn (sun sensitivity)
What are the precautions in taking Doxycycline Monohydrate?
- Before using this medication, discuss with your doctor first the risks and benefits that this drug has.
- Let your doctor know if you have any medical history or current medications.
- Stop taking this if an allergic reaction occurs and call for medical help right away.
- Continue to take this medicine until the full prescription is finished, even though symptoms fade after a few days. Stopping the treatment too early may let bacteria continue to grow, which may result in a return of the infection.
- It is recommended to consult a doctor before taking a dose of this medicine if you are a pregnant or breastfeeding woman.
- If you get pregnant while taking this medicine, call your doctor right away.