Where is Desipramine Hydrochloride used?
Desipramine Hydrochloride is a prescription medicine used to treat depression. This medicine may improve your energy level, mood, sleep, and appetite. Desipramine Hydrochloride is a tricyclic antidepressant (TCA). This is available as tablets for oral administration. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved this medication already.
How does Desipramine Hydrochloride work?
Desipramine Hydrochloride works by blocking reuptake from the neuronal synapse. It also prevents serotonin reuptake and a reduced extent equated to tertiary amine TCAs such as imipramine. Prevention of neurotransmitter reuptake upsurges stimulation of the post-synaptic neuron. Prolonged use of Desipramine Hydrochloride also leads to sensitization of serotonergic receptors and down-regulation of beta-adrenergic receptors in the cerebral cortex. An overall increase in serotonergic transmission likely confers of this drug is its antidepressant effects.
This medicine also has minor anticholinergic activity. It is over its similarity for muscarinic receptors. TCAs are thought to restore normal levels of neurotransmitters via synaptic reuptake inhibition. It is also by increasing serotonergic neurotransmission via serotonergic receptor sensitization in the central nervous system.
How is Desipramine Hydrochloride taken?
The recommended dosage for this treatment is based on your condition and response.
- Desipramine Hydrochloride is usually taken 1 to 3 times daily.
- Take it by mouth with a full glass of water.
- You may take this medication with or without food.
- Take it at the same time each day.
Do not stop the medication without consulting your doctor. Your condition may get worse if you suddenly stop this treatment. To avoid some complications, follow the prescription of your doctor carefully.
This medicine does not work right away. It may take 2 to 3 weeks before you experience the full benefits of using this medicine for depression. Inform your doctor if your condition gets worse or persists.
What are the possible side effects of Desipramine Hydrochloride?
- Trouble sleeping
- Blurred vision
- Weight gain
- Increased appetite
- Dry mouth
- Tingly feeling
- Lack of coordination
Call your doctor right away if these happen:
- Muscle stiffness
- Mental/mood changes
- Swelling, pain, or redness of arms or legs
- Numbness or tingling of the hands or feet
- Trouble urinating
- Painful or irregular menstrual periods
What are the precautions in taking Desipramine Hydrochloride?
- Inform your doctor if you are allergic to it. Inform also your doctor know if you have any current medications including vitamins or herbal supplements.
- You should not share this with others even if they have the same symptoms as yours.
- This is not prescribed for pregnant women. This medicine should only be used when needed.
- This prescription is not recommended for use in children younger than 18 years due to the risk of serious side effects.
- Desipramine Hydrochloride may make you more sensitive to the sun. Limit yourself in the sun and wear protective clothing when outdoors.
- Patients with diabetes may find it difficult to control blood sugar while taking this medicine. Blood sugar should be checked regularly and it is recommended to share the results with your doctor.