Where is Trimipramine Maleate used?
Trimipramine Maleate is a prescription used for the treatment of depression. This helps improves your mood and sense of well-being and lets you enjoy more of your everyday life. Trimipramine Maleate is a tricyclic antidepressant that restores the balance of a certain natural substance in the brain.
This medication won’t change your personality or make you feel instantly happy and relaxed. This works overtime to correct the chemical changes in your brain that have made you depressed. Trimipramine Maleate also helps you get back to feeling like your old self. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this prescription. Trimipramine Maleate comes as a tablet for oral use.
How does Trimipramine Maleate work?
Trimipramine Maleate works by enhancing the activity of neurotransmitters called noradrenaline and serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is connected to the regulation of sleep and mood. Noradrenaline is responsible for how the person reacts to anxiety and stress. It is also associated with the fight-or-flight response.
Neurotransmitters are natural body chemicals that act as chemical messengers between the nerve cells. In depression, less noradrenaline and serotonin than normal is released from nerve cells in the brain. Trimipramine Maleate prolongs the effects of noradrenaline and serotonin that have been released in the brain. Over time, this helps to lighten the mood and relieve depression.
How is Trimipramine Maleate taken?
Dosage is based on your medical condition and response to therapy. Your doctor may start you at a low dose and gradually increase your dose. Use this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. It is important to continue taking this medication even if you feel well.
Take this medication by mouth with or without food, usually 1-3 times a day. If taking this medication once a day, take it at bedtime to lessen the risk of drowsiness.
Trimipramine Maleate does not work right away. It may take 2 to 4 weeks before you experience the full benefits. To help you remember, use it at the same time each day. You should not stop quickly taking this medication without the consultation of your doctor. Certain disorders may get worse when the medication is stopped. Your dosage might need to be slowly reduced. Inform your doctor if your condition does not improve or if it worsens. If you missed a dose, call your doctor right away for instructions. Do not double the dose to make up for your missed dose.
What are the possible side effects of Trimipramine Maleate?
- Sleep problems or insomnia
- Blurred vision
- Loss of appetite
Call your doctor right away if these side effects occur:
- Blurred vision
- Unusual thought or behavior
- Unusual bruising or bleeding
- A light-headed feeling like you might pass out
- Sudden weakness
What are the precautions in using Trimipramine Maleate?
- This medication can sometimes make you feel dizzy or unsteady when you get up from lying down or sitting. Try to get up slowly to avoid this.
- You should avoid drinking alcohol while taking this medicine. It will make you more likely to feel dizzy, sleepy, or confused. This effect is likely to be worse if you drink alcohol when you start treatment or after any dose increases.
- This should not be recommended for use in children under 18 years of age, people with severe liver disease, heart disease, bipolar disorder, or with rare hereditary blood disorders.
- This should not be taken by people who are allergic to any ingredient of Trimipramine Maleate.
- A lower dose and extra monitoring are needed in people with liver problems, overactive thyroid gland, those who have difficulty passing urine, and with diabetes.