Where is Tadalafil used?
Tadalafil is a prescription used for the treatment of erectile dysfunction (ED). ED is the incapability to keep and get an erection stable enough for sex. Trouble having an erection frequently isn’t indeed a cause for concern. If ED is an ongoing issue, it can affect your self-confidence, cause stress, and contribute to relationship problems.
This medication can also be used to relieve symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Tadalafil is in the class of phosphodiesterase (PDE) inhibitors. This relaxes the smooth muscle in the prostate and bladder. Tadalafil is a prescription already approved by the FDA.
How does Tadalafil work?
Tadalafil helps you to achieve and maintain an erection by helping more blood get into your penis when you are sexually aroused.
An erection is made through a complex chain of events that involves signals from the nervous system. It also involves the release of chemical messengers within the tissues of the penis. One of the messengers released when you’re aroused is called cyclic GMP. Cyclic GMP relaxes and widens the blood vessels in the penis which allows more blood to enter. This causes the penis to get hard and erect. Cyclic GMP is usually broken down by an enzyme in the body called phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5). Tadalafil, therefore, stops this enzyme from breaking down the cyclic GMP. This allows the blood vessels in the penis to stay dilated for longer. Wherein, it improves blood flow to the penis and helps produce and maintain an erection.
The effect of this medication on the blood vessels also improves blood flow to the prostate gland. The prostate gland often enlarges with advancing age, pressing on the urethra, and obstructing the flow of urine out of the bladder. By relaxing the muscle in the prostate gland and the bladder and improving the blood flow to the prostate, this medication helps to relieve BPH symptoms.
How is Tadalafil taken?
Take this medication by mouth as directed by your doctor. You may take each dose with or without a meal. Do not take this medicine more often than once a day. The dosage is based on your condition and response to the treatment.
- For the treatment of ED, this can be taken at least 30 minutes before sexual activity. The effect on sexual ability may last up to 36 hours. You may as well take this once a day every day. If you take it this way, you may attempt sexual activity at any time between your doses.
- For the treatment of BPH, this is to be taken once a day or as directed by your doctor.
What are the precautions in using Tadalafil?
- This may make you feel dizzy or affect your vision. It may affect your ability to drive or operate machinery safely. Don’t drive until you know how this drug affects you.
- It’s best to avoid drinking too much alcohol while having Tadalafil. Drinking alcohol can reduce your ability to get an erection and so might make the Tadalafil less effective.
- For people with high blood pressure, who had a stroke, heart attack, with low blood pressure, and those who have conditions in which sexual activity is not advisable, Tadalafil is not recommended for use.
- If you have already had an allergic reaction to Tadalafil, let your doctor know. Tell also if you have any allergies. This prescription may have an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- For people with a heart condition, taking medicines for high blood pressure, who have sickle cell disease, severe kidney failure, this medication may need a lower dose or extra monitoring.
- This is not for use in women or children.