Sildenafil is a prescription used to treat malesexual function problems called impotence or erectile dysfunction (ED). ED isthe incapability to keep and get an erection firm enough for sex. Havingerection trouble from time to time is not fundamentally a cause for concern. IfED is an ongoing issue, it may cause stress and affect your self-confidence. Itmay also contribute to relationship problems. Problems keeping or getting anerection can also be a sign of an underlying health complication. That it needstreatment and a risk factor for heart attack. Impotence or erectile dysfunctionsymptoms might include:
- Reducedsexual desire
- Troublekeeping an erection
- Troublegetting an erection
ED may result from a problem with any of these. Malesexual arousal is a complex process that involves the hormones, brain, nerves,emotions, muscle, or blood vessels. Similarly, stress and mental healthconcerns can cause or worsen ED. Sometimes a combination of psychological andphysical issues causes this kind of condition.
Sildenafil is in the class of medications called phosphodiesterasetype-5 inhibitor. In combination with sexual stimulation, this drug increasesblood flow to the penis to help a man get and keep an erection. The Food and DrugAdministration (FDA) has already approved this medication. Sildenafil comes asa tablet for oral use. Each tablet is available in the dosage strength of 20mg.
Howdoes Sildenafil work?
Sildenafil helps you get and maintain an erection byhelping more blood get into your penis when you are sexually aroused.
An erection is created by a compound chain of actionsthat involves the nervous system. The release of chemical messengers within thetissues of the penis as well. One of the couriers released when you are arousedis called cyclic GMP. It relaxesand widens the blood vessels in the penis. Wherein, it allows more blood toenter. This causes the penis to get hard and erect.
Cyclic GMP is normally broken down by an enzyme inthe body called phosphodiesterase type-5 (PDE5). Sildenafil stops this enzymefrom breaking down the cyclic GMP. It allows the blood vessels in the penis tostay dilated for longer. In which, it improves blood flow to the penis andhelps produce and maintain an erection.
Sildenafil will only work once the messenger responsiblefor producing an erection starts to be produced. Therefore, you have to be sexuallyaroused for Sildenafil to create and keep an erection. You should be able toget an erection 25 minutes to an hour after taking this drug. It is if you’re stimulated.You should still be able to get an erection for up to five hours after raking adose.
Howto use Sildenafil?
Mostly for men, they start to take one 50 mg tablet.You should take a dose about an hour before you plan to have sex. You can take Sildenafileither with or without food. But be aware that if you take it with or after ameal, it will take longer to start working. Your tablet should be swallowedwhole with a full glass of water. Do not break, crush, or chew it. Do not takethis drug more than once in 24 hours.
You might need to take Sildenafil on a few differentoccasions before it starts to work for you. If you’ve tried taking it severaltimes and still haven’t been able to get a hard enough erection, consult your doctor.Do not increase your dose without the consent of your doctor. Continue to takethis drug until the full prescription is done even if symptoms disappear. Letyour doctor know if your condition does not improve or if it gets worse.
Whatare the side effects of Sildenafil?
Possible side effects:
- Flushing(warmth or redness in your face, chest, or neck)
- Lowblood pressure
- Shortnessof breath
Call your doctor right away if these occur:
- Ringingin your ears or sudden hearing loss
- Severeshortness of breath
- Coughwith foamy mucus
- Swellingin your hands, feet, or ankles
- Alight-headed feeling like you might pass out
Stop taking this drug and call for emergency medicalhelp if you experience this:
- Visionchanges or sudden vision loss
- Erectionis painful or lasts longer than 4 hours
- Heartattack symptoms (pain spreading to your shoulder or jaw, chest pain orpressure, and nausea)
Thingsto remember while having this treatment:
- Sildenafilmakes you feel dizzy or may affect your vision. Therefore, it may affect your capabilityto drive operate machinery or drive safely. Do not drive until you know howthis drug affects you and you are sure it won’t affect your performance.
- Itis best to avoid drinking alcohol while having this drug. Drinking alcohol canlessen your ability to get an erection and it might make the medicine lesseffective. As Sildenafil can also make some people feel dizzy, this could bemade worse if you drink alcohol.
- Whiletaking this medication, avoid drinking grapefruit juice. It may increase thelevel of the drug in your blood and it also increases the risks of sideeffects.
- Thisshould not be taken by people who have conditions in which sexual activity isnot advisable. It includes severe heart failure or unstable angina.
- Peoplewith low blood pressure, severe liver problems, hereditary degeneration of theback of the eyeball, and who have had a heart or stroke, this drug should notbe recommended.
- Ifyou ever had an allergic reaction to this drug, do not use this. Tell your doctoras well if you have any allergies.
- Informyour doctor if you have any current medications including that of vitamins orherbal supplements.
- Thisis not licensed to use anyone under 18 years of age.
- Ifyou have a medical history of dehydration, chest pain, liver or kidney disease,high blood pressure, or sudden decreased vision, tell it to your doctor before usingthis medicine.
- Storethis at room temperature away from the reach of children.