Sacubitril and Valsartan
Thisprescription is used for the treatment of certain types of heart failure. Thisproduct contains two medications; Sacubitril and Valsartan. The drugs belong tothe class of neprilysin inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs).Sacubitril and Valsartan may help you live longer and lower your chance ofhaving to go to the hospital for heart failure. They work by relaxing bloodvessels so the blood can flow more easily. Wherein, it makes it easier for yourheart to pump blood to your body. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) hasalready approved this medication. Sacubitril and Valsartan come as a tablet fororal use. Each tablet is available in the dosage strengths of 24/26 mg, 49/51mg, and 97/103 mg. Sacubitril and Valsartan are usually given together withother blood pressure medications.
Types ofheart failure may include:
- Left-sided heart failure
This isthe most common type of heart failure. The left heart ventricle is located onthe bottom left side of your heart. To the rest of your body, this part pumpsoxygen-rich blood. This type of heart failure happens if the left heartventricle does not pump proficiently. And that prevents your body from gettingenough oxygen-rich blood. The blood backs up into your lungs instead. In whichit causes shortness of breath and a build-up of fluid.
- Right-sided heart failure
The rightheart ventricle is responsible for pumping blood to your lungs to collectoxygen. Right-sided heart failure happens if the right side of your heartcannot perform its job effectively. The build-up of blood in the lungs that iscaused by the left-sided heart failure makes the right ventricle work harder.This can stress the right side of the heart and cause it to fail.
- Diastolic heart failure
Thisoccurs when the muscle of the heart becomes stiffer than normal. The stiffnesswhich is usually due to heart disease means that your heart does not fill withblood easily. That it leads to a lack of blood flow to the rest of the organsin your body.
- Systolic heart failure
Thishappens when the heart muscle loses its ability to contract. The contractionsof the heart are necessary to pump oxygen-rich blood out to the body. Systolicheart failure usually develops when your heart is weak and enlarged.
Heartfailure occurs when the muscle in your heart does not pump blood normally as itshould. Certain conditions may gradually leave your heart too weak or stiff tofill and pump efficiently. These conditions may be coronary artery disease or anarrowed artery in your heart and high blood pressure. Treatments can improvethe signs and symptoms of heart failure and help you live longer. Lifestylechanges such as reducing sodium in your diet, exercising, managing stress andlosing weight. These may improve your quality of life.
How do Sacubitriland Valsartan work?
The twoactive substances in this product work in different ways.
Sacubitrilworks by blocking the breakdown of natriuretic peptides that are produced inthe body. Natriuretic peptides cause the water and sodium to pass into theurine. Thereby, it decreases the strain on the heart. Natriuretic peptides alsodecrease blood pressure and protect the heart from developing fibrosis which isthe scar tissues that happen in heart failure.
Valsartanis a type of drug called angiotensin-II-receptor antagonist which means that itblocks the action of a hormone called angiotensin II. In patients with heartfailure, the effects of angiotensin II can be harmful. Valsartan stops thehormone’s harmful effects on the heart if it blocks the receptors in whichangiotensin II generally attaches. It also lessens blood pressure by permittingblood vessels to widen.
How touse Sacubitriland Valsartan?
Thismedication is to be taken by mouth. Each tablet is to be swallowed whole with aglass of water. The dosage is based on your condition, age, weight, andresponse to the treatment. Your doctor may instruct you to start at a lowerdose and gradually increase it.
Thisproduct is taken usually twice a day. You may have each dose with or without ameal. Sacubitril and Valsartan should not be taken with ACE inhibitors sinceyour risk of serious side effects may increase. Do not take Sacubitril andValsartan for at least 36 hours before or after taking an ACE inhibitor. Usethis medication exactly as it is given by your doctor. You must not take moreor less than it is prescribed. If you missed a dose, do not take tow dose tomake up for the missed dose. Instead, call your doctor for furtherinstructions.
What arethe side effects of Sacubitril and Valsartan?
Call yourdoctor right away if these side effects occur:
- Extreme tiredness
- A light-headed feeling like you might pass out
- Kidney problems (painful or difficult urination,little or no urinating, swelling in your ankles or feet)
- High potassium (weak pulse, slow heart rate, tinglyfeeling, or muscle weakness)
- To make sure that this product is safe for you, letyour doctor know if ever had diabetes, liver disease, or hereditary angioedema.Tell as well if you are on a low-salt diet or if you are dehydrated.
- If you ever had an allergic reaction to Sacubitriland Valsartan, inform your doctor. This medication may have an inactive contentthat causes an allergic reaction.
- If you are pregnant, do use Sacubitril andValsartan. If you become pregnant, stop using this medication and tell rightaway to your doctor. Sacubitril and Valsartan can cause injury or death to theunborn baby. Especially if you take the drug on your second or thirdtrimester.
- You should as well not breastfeed while having thisproduct.
- Do not use Sacubitril and Valsartan in combinationwith any medication that has Aliskiren if you have diabetes.
- If your condition does not get better or getsworse, call your doctor right away.
- Keep this away from the heat, moisture, and reachof children or pets.