Procyclidine Hydrochloride is aprescription used to treat and relieve the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease suchas:
- Problems writing, talking and walking
- Stiff muscles, paralysis, and tremor
- Sweating and uncontrolled eye movements
- Producing too much saliva and dribbling
Parkinson’s disease is a movementdisorder that affects the nervous system. In this disease, the symptoms becomeworse over time. They often start with a slight tremor in one hand and afeeling of stiffness in the body. Most of the symptoms result from a fall indopamine levels. Dopamine is produced in a part of the brain called thesubstantia nigra. In Parkinson’s disease, the cells of the substantia nigrastart to die. This disease does not directly cause people to die but it can placegreat strain on the body. It can as well make some people more vulnerable toserious and life-threatening infections.
This medication may also be used tostop side effects called extrapyramidal effects which are caused by somemedicines. These may include signs similar to Parkinson’s disease orrestlessness and unusual head and body movements. These effects are also calleddrug-induced movement disorders. Extrapyramidal function refers to our motorcontrol and coordination. It also includes being able to not make movements wedon’t want to make.
Procyclidine Hydrochloride is atype of medicine called anticholinergic and sometimes called antimuscarinics. Thisblocks a certain natural substance. This helps decrease sweating, musclestiffness, and improves walking ability. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA)has already approved this medicine. Each scored tablet has 5 mg of ProcyclidineHydrochloride as an active ingredient. This product is for oral use.
Howdoes Procyclidine Hydrochloride work?
Anticholinergic medicines like ProcyclidineHydrochloride prevents the activity of a neurotransmitter called acetylcholine.Neurotransmitters are chemical compounds that are found in the brains andnerves. They act as a chemical messenger between the nerve cells. There aremany different neurotransmitters in the body and these have various differentfunctions.
In Parkinson’s disease, there isa deficiency of a neurotransmitter called dopamine in the brain. Wherein, itcauses the overactivity of acetylcholine. Procyclidine Hydrochloride blocks thereceptors that acetylcholine acts on. This decreases the activity of the acetylcholineand helps restore the balance of acetylcholine and dopamine in the brain. Inthis way, this medication helps control some of the symptoms of the disease. Itis most effective at decreasing the tremor and rigidity associated with thedisease.
Howto use Procyclidine Hydrochloride?
The recommended dosage is basedon your medical condition, age, and response to the treatment. Your doctor maydirect you to start at a lower dose and eventually increase it. You should takethe right dose, not more or less. Do not suddenly stop taking this medicationwithout the consent of your doctor. It may cause another complication or mayworsen your current condition. For the best benefit from this product, take itregularly. If you missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember it. If it isalmost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regulardosing schedule. Do not double the dose to make up for the missed dose. Letyour doctor know if your condition does not improve or if it gets worse.
Procyclidine Hydrochloride isusually taken 3 to 4 times a day after meals and at bedtime or as directed byyour doctor. You must take each tablet by mouth. Swallow the tablet as a wholewith a full glass of water. Do not break, chew, or crush it. Drink plenty offluids while having this medication. Doing so may lessen the risk of certainside effects. Remember to take it at the same time and in the same way eachday. If you are taking antacids, take this medication at least an hour beforeyou take antacids. Allow at least 1to 2 hours between doses of ProcyclidineHydrochloride and certain drugs for diarrhea. Antacids and some drugs fordiarrhea may prevent the full absorption of this product. It may also preventthe full absorption if the medicines are taken together. When used for anextended period, this medication may not work as well and may require differentdosing.
Whatare the side effects of Procyclidine Hydrochloride?
Common side effects:
- Abdominal pain
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
Tell your doctor right away ifyou have serious side effects such as:
- Severe stomach or abdominal pain
- Painful or difficulty swallowing
- Difficulty urinating
- Decreased sexual ability
Call for emergency medical helpif you have signs of an allergic reaction like:
- Severe dizziness
- Trouble breathing
- Rash or itching
- Swelling tongue, face, and throat
- Let your doctor know if you have any medicalhistory such as heart problems, high/low blood pressure, certain nerve disease,and kidney disease.
- This medication lessens the production of saliva. Itis an effect that can increase gum and tooth problems. Take special care withyour dental hygiene and have a regular dental check-up.
- This causes decreased sweating which can cause asevere rise in your body temperature. Drink plenty of fluids and dress lightlywhile in hot weather and when exercising.
- Children may be more sensitive to the effects ofthis drug especially effects on heart rate.
- This prescription should not be given in children.
- You may have confusion, blurred vision, ordizziness while taking Procyclidine Hydrochloride. If this happens do not driveor use any machinery that requires your alertness. Do it until you know howthis drug affects you and your performance.
- Do not use this for the treatment of otherillnesses without the consent of your doctor.
- This should only be used when needed in pregnantwomen. If you are breastfeeding women, consult your doctor first before usingthis medicine.
Procyclidine Hydrochloride shouldbe used with caution in:
- Elderly people
- Those with decreased liver or kidney function
- People at risk or glaucoma and obstruction of thestomach or intestines
This should not be used in peoplewith:
- Obstruction of the stomach or intestines
- Closed-angle glaucoma
- Untreated difficulty in passing urine