Primidone is a prescription used alone or with other medications to control seizures. A seizure is an uncontrolled electrical disturbance in the brain. It may cause changes in your behavior, feelings, or movements, and in levels of consciousness. You have epilepsy if you have had two or more seizures or a tendency to have recurrent seizures. This type of condition is more common than you might think. It can happen after a stroke, an infection such as meningitis, or a closed head injury. Many types of seizures can range in severity. The types may vary by where and how they begin in the brain. Most seizures may last from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. A seizure that takes longer than 5 minutes is already an emergency. The signs and symptoms of this condition may range from mild to severe. It includes:
- A staring spell
- Temporary confusion
- Loss of consciousness or awareness
- Uncontrollable jerking movements of the arms and legs
- Cognitive or emotional symptoms such as anxiety, fear, or déjà vu
Primidone is in the family of medicationscalled barbiturate anticonvulsants. This controls the abnormal electricalactivity in the brain that happens during a seizure. Controlling and reducingseizure lets you do more of your normal daily activities and lessens your riskof harm when you lose awareness. This also lessens your risk for a possiblylife-threatening condition of frequent and repeated seizures. Primidone is aprescription approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This productis supplied as a tablet that contains Primidone as an active ingredient. Eachtablet is available in the dosage forms of 50 mg and 250 mg for oral use.
Howdoes Primidone work?
Primidone stabilizes electricalactivity in the brain. The brain and nerves are made up of many nerve cells. Thesecells communicate with each other through electrical signals. For them tofunction well, these signals should be sensibly controlled for the brain andnerves. It becomes over-stimulated when unusually rapid and repetitiveelectrical signals are released in the brain. There is also a normal functiondisturbed.
This medication prevents theexcessive electrical activity in the brain. This is thought to prevent sodium fromentering nerve cells when they begin to fire rapid and repetitive electricalsignals. A build-up of sodium in the nerve cells is needed for the electricalsignal to build-up. It also passes on to the other nerve cells.
Howto use Primidone?
The recommended dosage is basedon your medical condition, age, and response to the treatment. Your doctor maydirect you to start at a low dose at bedtime and eventually increase it toprevent side effects. It may take several weeks to reach the best dose for you.You should take the right dose, not more or less. This medication works bestwhen the amount of drugs in your body is at a constant level. Therefore, rememberto take it at the same time and in the same way each day. Do not suddenly stoptaking this medication without the consent of your doctor. It may cause anothercomplication or may worsen your current condition. You may also have withdrawalsymptoms such as hallucinations, anxiety, or trouble sleeping. Withdrawal fromthis product can be severe and include seizures and rarely death. Let yourdoctor know right away if you have withdrawal. For the best benefit from thisproduct, take it regularly.
Primidone is to be taken by mouthusually three to four times a day or as directed by your doctor. You may takeeach dose with or without a meal. Swallow the tablet as a whole with a fullglass of water. Do not break, chew, or crush it. Drink plenty of fluids whilehaving this medication. Doing so may lessen the risk of certain side effects. Ifyou missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember it. If it is almost time foryour next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule.Do not double the dose to make up for the missed dose. Let your doctor know ifyour condition does not improve or if it gets worse.
Whatare the side effects of Primidone?
Common side effects:
- Blurred vision
- Spinning sensation
- Skin rash
- Blurred vision
- Loss of appetite
- Loss of interest in sex
Let your doctor know right away ifyou serious side effects such as:
- Loss of balance or coordination
- Slurred speech
- Unusual weakness
- Easy bruising or bleeding
Call for medical help if you havesigns of an allergic reaction like:
- Hives or itching
- Trouble breathing or shortness of breath
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat
- You should avoid drinking alcohol while having Primidone. It may make you drowsier.
- This drug may make you feel dizzy. Avoid using any machinery or do any activity that requires your full alertness.
- This may rarely cause problems with your blood cells. You should consult your doctor right away if you experience symptoms such as purple spots, unexplained bruising or bleeding, and mouth ulcers.
- There may be a small increased risk of suicidal thoughts and behavior in people taking Primidone. For this reason, it is important to seek medical advice if you experience any changes in mood or distressing thoughts.
- This medication should be used with caution in elderly people, children, those with decreased liver or kidney function, and any breathing problems. Also, use this with caution in people who do not consume much calcium in their diet or those who do not get enough vitamin D from exposure to sunlight.
- Primidone should not be used in people who allergic to it and those with an inherited blood disease called acute intermittent porphyria.
- Let your doctor know if you have any allergies before using this drug. This may contain an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- Tell as well your doctor if you have any medical history especially of hormone problems, lung disease, or certain vitamin deficiencies.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding women, consult your doctor first before using Primidone.