Oseltamivir Phosphate is an antiviral medication indicated for the treatment of flu virus or influenza. This is used in adults and children from birth. It is when the flu virus is known to be going around in your community. This may also be used in adults and children one year and over to prevent influenza. As well as those who’ve been in contact with someone diagnosed with flu during a flu outbreak.
Influenza is a viral infectionattacks your respiratory system. Specifically, it attacks your nose, lungs, andthroat. This condition is commonly known as the flu. For most people, influenzaresolves on its own. But sometimes, influenza and its complications can bedeadly. People at higher risk of developing flu complications include:
- Young children under age 5, especially those under2 years
- Adults older than the age of 65
- Pregnant women and women up to two weekspostpartum
- residents of nursing home and other long-term carefacilities
- People with weakened immune systems
- People who are very obese with a body mass indexof 40 or higher
- People who have chronic illnesses such as heartdisease, asthma, diabetes, kidney disease, and liver disease
Common signs and symptoms of influenza may be:
- Aching muscles
- Chills and sweats
- Fatigue and weakness
- Sore throat
- Nasal congestion
- Dry or persistent cough
- Fever over 38 C
This medication helps make thesymptoms less severe and shortens the recovery time by 1 to 2 days. This drugstops the flu virus from spreading around the body.
Oseltamivir Phosphate is a type of medicine called a neuraminidase inhibitor. This blocks the actions of influenza virus types A and B virus in your body. This product is supplied as a capsule for oral use. Each capsule contains Oseltamivir Phosphate as an active ingredient. In addition to the active ingredient, each capsule contains sodium stearyl fumarate, croscarmellose sodium, and talc. It is a white crystalline solid. This is available in the dosage forms of 30 mg, 45 mg, and 75 mg. Oseltamivir Phosphate is a prescription approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How does Oseltamivir Phosphate work?
Once the flu virus comes into the body it attacks cells in the airways. Wherein,it reproduces to form lots of new copies of the virus. The new reproductions ofthe virus leave the first cells and move on to infect neighboring cells. It is wherethe process is repeated. After a couple of days, enough cells have beeninfected that the patient feels flu symptoms such as fever, headache, andgeneral aches and pains. These usually continue for about a week until thebody’s immune system kills the virus. To leave one cell and infect another, theflu virus uses a chemical helper called neuraminidase.
OseltamivirPhosphate works by stopping this chemicalhelper from working. Without it, newly formed copies of the virus can’t leavethe infected cells to infect other cells. This prevents the flu virus fromspreading and so confines the infection to a smaller area. This makes thesymptoms of the infection less severe. This also makes it is easier for thebody’s immune system to kill the virus.
Howto use Oseltamivir Phosphate?
Oseltamivir Phosphate is to betaken by mouth. This is usually taken twice a day for 5 days or as directed byyour doctor. You may take each dose with or without a meal. Swallow themedicine as a whole with a full glass of water. Do not break, chew, or crushit. Remember to take it at the same time and in the same way every day. For thebest benefit, take it regularly.
The recommended dosage is basedon your medical condition, age, weight, and response to the treatment. You musttake this medication exactly as it is given by your doctor. Do not in a largeror smaller amount. It may worsen or cause another complication. Let your doctorknow if your condition does not improve or if it gets worse.
Whatare the side effects of Oseltamivir Phosphate?
Common side effects:
- Sleep problems or insomnia
- Eye redness or discomfort
- Cough or respiratory problems
Call your doctor right away if you have these unlikely but serious side effects:
- Tremors or shaking
- Sudden confusion
- Unusual behavior
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that arenot there)
Get emergency medical help if you these signs of an allergic reaction:
- Hives or itching
- Difficulty or trouble breathing
- Swelling of your face, lips, throat, or tongue
Warnings and Precautions
- Before taking, let your doctor know if you haveever had any medical history, especially of kidney disease.
- This drug may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not useany machinery or do anything that needs your alertness.
- Do not take this medication if you are allergic toit. This drug may contain some ingredients that cause an allergic reaction.
- While having this treatment, avoid alcoholicbeverages. Alcohol may increase drug levels.
- Do not share this or any of your medications withothers even if they have the same symptoms as yours.
- This should only be used when needed duringpregnancy. If you are breastfeeding women, consult your doctor first beforetaking a dose.
- If you missed a dose, take it as soon as youremember it. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose andcontinue your regular dosing schedule.
- Tell your doctor if you have any other medicationssuch as vitamins or herbal supplements.
- Some people using this drug have had suddenunusual changes in mood or behavior. Even without this medication, anyone withinfluenza can have neurologic or behavioral symptoms.
- This medication works best when the amount ofmedicine in your body is kept at a constant level.
- Do not suddenly stop taking this medication. Itmay allow the virus to continue to grow.
- You should not use this for the treatment of otherconditions.
- Keep this far from the heat, moisture, and reachof children or pets.