Treprostinil General Information
Orenitram (Treprostinil) is a prescription drug used to treat PAH or pulmonary arterial hypertension. It is high blood pressure in the arteries of your lungs. In this condition, increased pressure in the vessels is caused by an obstruction in the small arteries in the lung. This drug may help increase your ability to exercise.
How does Orenitram (Treprostinil) work?
Orenitram (Treprostinil) is a synthetic analog of prostacyclin. It is a naturally occurring substance in the body that widens blood vessels. The major action of this medication appears to be similar to the actions of another prostacyclin. It includes epoprostenol and vasodilatation of the pulmonary. It also includes systemic vascular beds. It is the widening of narrowed blood vessels in the lung and other parts of the body.
Why use Orenitram (Treprostinil)?
Orenitram (Treprostinil) belongs to the class of medications called vasodilators. This is an extended-release osmotic tablet for oral use. This is formulated in the strengths of 0.125 mg, 0.25 mg, 1 mg, and 2.5 mg. This drug contains Treprostinil as an active ingredient. This was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2013.
How to use Orenitram (Treprostinil)?
Orenitram (Treprostinil) is to be taken by mouth and with a full glass of water. It is usually taken twice a day with food every 12 hours. For some, your doctor may direct you to take it three times a day every 8 hours. Swallow the medication as a whole. Do not break or chew it. Remember to take it at the same time every day. Do not suddenly stop this medication without consulting your doctor. It may cause a worsening of your condition. The dosage is based on your medical condition and response.
What are the side-effects of Orenitram (Treprostinil)?
Common side effects:
- Jaw pain
- Pain in the extremities
- Abdominal discomfort
- Low blood potassium (hypokalemia)
Warnings and Precautions
- Before using this drug, let your doctor know if you have any medical history. Tell also to your doctor if you have any allergies. This drug may have an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- This medication may make you feel dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive or do anything that requires your alertness.
- During pregnancy, this should only be used when clearly needed. If you are breastfeeding women, talk with your doctor first. Discuss the risks and benefits of this drug.
- Keep this at a dry and clean place away from heat and moisture.