Norgestrel is indicated toprevent pregnancy. This stops the release of an egg in about half of a woman’smenstrual cycles. Norgestrel may also make your periods more regular and lessenblood loss. Birth control pills lessen ovarian cysts and also treat acne.
Howdoes Norgestrel work?
Norgestrel affects the naturalmucus at the neck of the womb. This drug increases the thickness of this mucus,making it more difficult for sperm to cross from the vagina into the womb. Successfulfertilization of an egg, leading to pregnancy, and by preventing sperm enteringthe womb, is less likely. Norgestrel also changes the quality of the womblining. The changes prevent any eggs that have been fertilized fromsuccessfully implanting onto the wall of the womb.
Norgestrel is a type of hormonalcontraceptive commonly known as ‘mini-pill’. This medication is a hormone thatprevents pregnancy by making vaginal fluid thicker to help prevent sperm fromreaching an egg. Norgestrel as well as changes the lining of the uterus toprevent attachment of a fertilized egg. This medication is supplied as a tabletthat contains 0.0075 mg of a single active steroid ingredient Norgestrel. TheFood and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this prescription.
Howto use Norgestrel?
The recommended dosage is basedon your condition and response to Norgestrel. This is to be taken exactly as itis prescribed by your doctor. Follow the instructions of your doctor verycarefully for the best benefit.
Norgestrel is to be taken bymouth as directed by your doctor. You may take each dose with or without a mealusually once a day. Take it at the same time each day for this medication to beeffective.
Whatare the side effects of Norgestrel?
- Increased appetite
- Abdominal pain
- Painful menstrual periods
- Breast discomfort
- Vaginal discharge
- Before using, tell your doctor if you are allergicto it or you have any allergies.
- Inform your doctor if you have any medical historyor current medications.
- If you missed a dose, call your doctor for instructions.
- Let your doctor know if you have a medical historyof liver problems, asthma, heart disease, or migraine headaches.
- Call your doctor and stop taking this medicationif you get any of symptoms such as jaundice, severe abdominal pain, or if youget pregnant.
- This pill will not protect you against sexuallytransmitted infections. You may still need to use condoms as well.