Nilutamide is a drug known asanti-testosterone used to treat prostate cancer. Testosterone is a naturalhormone that helps prostate cancer grow and spread. Prostate cancer occurs inthe prostate which is a small walnut-shaped gland in men. It produces theseminal fluid that nourishes and transports sperm. Usually, prostate cancergrows slowly and is initially confined to the prostate gland.
Howdoes Nilutamide work?
Nilutamide works by preventingtestosterone from binding to androgen receptors in the prostate gland. It alsoacts on an area of the brain called hypothalamus. It ultimately results in areduction in the amount of testosterone produced by the body. Therefore, itstarves cancer cells of testosterone that it prevents them from growing. Eventually,the prostate tumor will shrink.
Nilutamide blocks the effects oftestosterone that it slows the growth and spread of prostate cancer. Thismedication is a nonsteroidal and orally active anti-androgen. It ismicrocrystalline and white to practically white powder. Nilutamide is availablein a 150 mg tablet for oral use. This contains Nilutamide as an activeingredient. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved thismedication.
Howto use Nilutamide?
The dosage for this medication isbased on your age, medical condition, and response to it. This prescription isto be taken exactly as it is prescribed. Do not use more or less or more oftenthan it is given.
Nilutamide is given usually oncea day. You may take each dose with or without a meal. The tablet is to be takenby mouth with a full glass of water. Do not break or chew it. You need toswallow it as a whole. Remember to take it at the same time each day.
Whatare the side effects of Nilutamide?
- Hot flashes
- Vision changes
- Stomach pain
- Dry skin
- Loss of body hair
- Loss of appetite
- Skin rash
- Signs of alcohol intolerance (flushing ortiredness)
- Increased sensitivity to touch or pain
- Before taking a dose, tell your doctor if you areallergic to it. Tell as well if you have current medications.
- Let your doctor know if you have ever had liverproblems or lung disease.
- This may make you dizzy. Do not drive or use anymachinery.
- Do not share this or any of your drugs with otherseven if they have the same symptoms as yours.
- Keep this drug at room temperature.