Naloxone Hydrochloride is used totreat known or suspected opioid overdose. Serious overdose symptom may include:
- Unusual difficulty waking up
- Unusual sleepiness
- Breathings problems ranging from slow or shallowbreathing to no breathing
Other symptoms may be very smallpinpoint pupils, low blood pressure, or slow heartbeat. If someone has seriousoverdose symptoms, give this medication right away.
Howdoes Naloxone Hydrochloride work?
Naloxone Hydrochloride is anopioid medication. Opioidscreate their effects by acting on opioid receptors in the nervous system andbrain. Naloxone works by blocking these opioid receptors, thus stopping opioidsfrom acting on them. This reverses the effects of the opioid.
Whyuse Naloxone Hydrochloride?
Naloxone Hydrochloride is in theclass of drugs known as opioid antagonists. This blocks the effects of theopioid in the brain. This blocks or reverses the effects of opioid medication including slowedbreathing, extreme drowsiness, or loss of consciousness. NaloxoneHydrochloride is available as a sterile solution for intravenous,intramuscular, and subcutaneous administration. This is supplied in the dosageforms of 0.02 mg, 0.4 mg, and 1 mg. This is a prescription approved by the Foodand Drug Administration (FDA).
Howto use Naloxone Hydrochloride?
Naloxone Hydrochloride is givenby a health care professional or by your doctor. it may be injected into avein, a muscle, or under the skin. Before using, check the medication visuallyfor particles or discoloration. Do not use the liquid if either is present. Thedosage of this prescription is based on your medical condition, age, andresponse. After giving Naloxone, call for medical help right away even if theperson wakes up. If symptoms return even after giving an injection, giveanother Naloxone injection every 2-3 minutes.
Whatare the side effects of Naloxone Hydrochloride?
- Body aches
- Stomach pain
- Runny nose
- Shortness of breath
- Do not use this drug if you are allergic to it.Tell to your doctor if you have any allergies before using.
- This should be used only when clearly needed.
- If you are breastfeeding women, consult yourdoctor first.
- Tell your doctor if you have any medical historyor current medications such as vitamins or herbal supplements.
- Before using, let your doctor know if you haveheart disease.
- Do not share your medications with others even ifthey have the same symptoms as yours.
- Keep this and all other medicines out of reach ofchildren.