Naloxone Hydrochloride is used to treat known or suspected opioid overdose. Serious overdose symptom may include:
- Unusual difficulty waking up
- Unusual sleepiness
- Breathings problems ranging from slow or shallowbreathing to no breathing
Other symptoms may be very smallpinpoint pupils, low blood pressure, or slow heartbeat. If someone has seriousoverdose symptoms, give this medication right away.
How does Naloxone Hydrochloride work?
Naloxone Hydrochloride is an opioid medication. Opioids create their effects by acting on opioid receptors in the nervous system and brain. Naloxone works by blocking these opioid receptors, thus stopping opioids from acting on them. This reverses the effects of the opioid.
Why use Naloxone Hydrochloride?
Naloxone Hydrochloride is in the class of drugs known as opioid antagonists. This blocks the effects of the opioid in the brain. This blocks or reverses the effects of opioid medication including slowed breathing, extreme drowsiness, or loss of consciousness. Naloxone Hydrochloride is available as a sterile solution for intravenous, intramuscular, and subcutaneous administration. This is supplied in the dosage forms of 0.02 mg, 0.4 mg, and 1 mg. This is a prescription approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How to use Naloxone Hydrochloride?
Naloxone Hydrochloride is given by a health care professional or by your doctor. it may be injected into a vein, a muscle, or under the skin. Before using, check the medication visually for particles or discoloration. Do not use the liquid if either is present. The dosage of this prescription is based on your medical condition, age, and response. After giving Naloxone, call for medical help right away even if the person wakes up. If symptoms return even after giving an injection, give another Naloxone injection every 2-3 minutes.
What are the side effects of Naloxone Hydrochloride?
- Body aches
- Stomach pain
- Runny nose
- Shortness of breath
Warnings and Precautions
- Do not use this drug if you are allergic to it.Tell to your doctor if you have any allergies before using.
- This should be used only when clearly needed.
- If you are breastfeeding women, consult yourdoctor first.
- Tell your doctor if you have any medical historyor current medications such as vitamins or herbal supplements.
- Before using, let your doctor know if you haveheart disease.
- Do not share your medications with others even ifthey have the same symptoms as yours.
- Keep this and all other medicines out of reach ofchildren.