Metoprolol Succinate Tablets
Metoprolol Succinate is used to prevent angina attacks, to lower high blood pressure, to control irregular heartbeats, and prevent migraines. This is a prescription approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Anginaattack is the most common type of angina and chest pain thatresults from reduced blood flow to the heart. A lack of blood flow means yourheart muscle isn’t getting enough oxygen. The pain is frequently caused byphysical activity or emotional stress. This is a prevalent manifestation ofcardiovascular disease. This occurs after you’ve exerted yourself physically.The symptoms tend to be temporary lasting up to 15 minutes in most cases. You can have an episode of angina at any timeof the day. However, you’re more likely to experience symptoms in the morning. Themost common types are chronic stable angina and unstable angina. Anginasymptoms may include:
- Shortnessof breath
- Painin your arms, jaw, neck, shoulder, or back accompanying chest pain
- Chestpain or discomfort
Hypertensionis alsoknown as the silent killer. Most people with hypertension are unaware of theproblem because it may have no warning signs or symptoms. For this reason,blood pressure must be measured regularly. Blood pressure is the force exertedby circulating blood against the walls of the body’s arteries. It is the majorblood vessels in the body.
Arrhythmiasdescribes as an irregular heartbeat. The heart may beat too slowly, too fast,too early, or irregularly. This happens when the electrical signals to theheart that coordinate heart betas are not working well. For instance, some peopleexperience irregular heartbeats which may feel like a racing heart or fluttering.Many heart arrhythmias are harmless. However, if they are particularly abnormal,it can cause serious and even potentially fatal symptoms.
Migraineis aneurological condition that can cause multiple symptoms. It is oftencharacterized by intense and debilitating headaches. It can last for hours to daysband the pain can be so severe that it interferes with your daily activities.Migraine often runs in families and affects all ages. Changes in thebrainstem and its interactions with the trigeminal nerve which is a major painpathway might be involved. As a result, there might be imbalances in brainchemicals including serotonin which helps regulate pain in your nervous system.If the following symptoms are unusual for the person with migraine, they shouldnot be ignored:
- Visual disturbance
- An unusually severe headache
- Difficulties with speech
- Loss of sensation
How doesthe medicine work?
MetoprololSuccinate is a type of medicine called beta-blocker.
The effects of Metoprololmean that the heart doesn’t use as much energy to pump bloodaround the body. Angina chest pain occurs when the heart doesn’t get enoughoxygen to meet demand. Metoprolol prevents angina attacks because it reducesthe workload of the heart and so decreases its demand for oxygen.
Thisworks in hypertension by blocking beta receptors that are found in the heart. Thiscauses the heart to beat slower and less forcefully. By that, it lessens thepressure at which blood is pumped out of the heart and around the body and solowers blood pressure.
In irregular heartbeats, this drug controls itbecause a slower heart rate tends to allow the electrical signals in the heartto fire more regularly. It lets the heart to beat more regularly. The effect ofMetoprolol on the heart and circulation helps control symptoms that areassociated with an overactive thyroid gland.
How touse the medication?
MetoprololSuccinate is to be taken by mouth with a full glass of water. It is usually takenonce a day. You may take each dose with or without food. The dosage is based onyour medical condition and response to the medication. You must take thismedication exactly as it is prescribed. You should not take more or less ormore often than it is given by your doctor.
Swallow thetablet as a whole. Do not break, chew, or crush it. Take each dose exactly asit is given by your doctor. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or forlonger than the prescription. Let your doctor know if your condition does notimprove or if it gets worse. If you missed a dose, take it as soon as youremember it. Skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule ifit’s almost time for your next intake. Do not double the dose to make up forthe missed dose.
Commonand Serious Side Effects
- Shortness of breath orwheezing
- Cold extremities
- Low blood pressure
- Sleep problems orinsomnia
- Dry mouth
- Abdominal cramps
Call your doctor right away if you have the following:
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath evenwith mild exertion
- Upper stomach pain
- Loss of appetite
- Clay-colored stools
- Easy bruising
- Unusual bleeding
- Cold feeling in yourhands or feet
- Trouble breathing
- Alcohol does not directly affect the medicine itself. Metoprolol can make some people feel tired, sleepy, or dizzy. If you’re affected in this way it’s best to avoid drinking alcohol. It may make these side effects worse. Also know that alcohol might increase blood pressure and make some heart conditions worse. It’s important to reduce the amount of alcohol that you drink.
- There are no drinks or food you specifically need to avoid while taking Metoprolol. Just make sure you are eating a healthy, balanced diet to help your condition.
- Metoprolol can make some people feel tired or dizzy. You should make sure you know how you react to it before operating machinery or driving. Avoid doing these potentially hazardous activities if affected.
- Let your doctor know if you have any allergies. Tell as well if you already have an allergic reaction to this drug.
- This should not be used ruing pregnancy. If you are breastfeeding women or planning to become pregnant, consult your doctor first before taking this drug.