Meloxicam is indicated for the treatment of arthritis. Arthritis is the swelling and tenderness of one or more of your joints. The symptoms of arthritis are joint pain and stiffness, which typically worsen with age. This medication reduces swelling, pain, and stiffness of the joints.
How does Meloxicam work?
Meloxicam works by blocking the action of a substance in the body called cyclooxygenase (COX). COX is involved in the production of various chemicals in the body, some of which are known as prostaglandins. Prostaglandins are produced by the body in response to injury, pain, swelling, and inflammation. Meloxicam blocks the production of these prostaglandins. Therefore this is effective at reducing pain and inflammation.
Why use Meloxicam?
Meloxicam is in the class of drugs called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). This helps lessen inflammation and fever. This is a prescription approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2000. Meloxicam is available in the strengths of 7.5 mg and 15 mg. This dug is supplied as tablets for oral use that contains an active ingredient Meloxicam.
How to use Meloxicam?
Meloxicam is to be taken by mouth as directed by your doctor. Thisis usually taken once a day. Drink plenty of fluids while taking this medication.You may take each dose with or without food. Do not lie down for at least 10minutes after taking a dose. Remember to take it in the same way and at thesame time each day.
The dosage is based on your medical condition, age, and responseto it. Follow the prescription of your doctor very carefully. Do not take moreor less than it is given by your doctor. Let your doctor if your condition doesnot improve or if it gets worse.
What are the side effects of Meloxicam?
- Stomach upset
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Skin rash
- Sore throat
Warnings and Precautions
- Do not use this if you are allergic to this medication.
- Call for medical help if there are any signs of anallergic reaction.
- Tell your doctor if you have any medical historyor current medications (herbal supplements or vitamins).
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding women,consult your doctor first before taking it.
- Call your doctor at once if you have chest pain orproblems with vision or balance.
- While taking Meloxicam, avoid smoking or drinkingalcohol. It may increase your risk of stomach bleeding.