Lubiprostone is an oralmedication used to treat chronic idiopathic constipation and irritable bowel syndromewith constipation. Chronic idiopathic constipation has symptoms of difficult orincomplete bowel movements. This medication may also be used for the treatmentof constipation caused by narcotic or opiate-type medications. It occurs inpeople with on-going pain due to medical conditions other than cancer. Lubiprostonemay improve symptoms of:
- Abdominal discomfort or bloating
- Lessen the need to strain
- Improve stool texture
- Lessen the feeling of not completely relievingoneself
Howdoes Lubiprostone work?
Lubiprostone works by increasingthe fluid secretion in the intestine. This increases the motility in theintestine which helps the passage of stools. It is through the bowel andrelieves the symptoms of constipation.
Lubiprostone belongs to the classof medications called chloride change activators. This helps increase theamount of fluid within your intestines that makes the passage of stool easier. In2006, this prescription has approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).Lubiprostone comes as a capsule for oral administration. This is available as 8mcg capsule that contains Lubiprostone as an active ingredient.
Howto use Lubiprostone?
The recommended dosage is basedon your medical condition and response. Do not change the dosage. Follow the prescriptionvery carefully. Use it regularly to get the most benefit from it.
This medication is to be taken bymouth usually twice a day. Swallow the capsule as a whole with a full glass ofwater. Take this medication with food. Do not break or chew the medicine. Don’tforget to take each dose at the same time each day. Do not suddenly stop takingthis medication without consulting your doctor. Let your doctor know if yourcondition does not improve if it gets worse.
Whatare the side effects of Lubiprostone?
- Stomach pain
- Dry mouth
- Runny nose
- Back or joint pain
- Trouble sleeping
- Before taking this medication, tell your doctor ifyou have any medical history or current medications. Tell as well if you haveany allergies or if you are allergic to this drug.
- If you have a liver disease your doctor may recommendyou to take this once a day.
- Do not share this with others even if they havethe same symptoms as yours.
- If you feel you have an allergic reaction, stopusing this drug and call your doctor right away.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding women,consult your doctor first.