Lubiprostone is an oral medication used to treat chronic idiopathic constipation and irritable bowel syndrome with constipation. Chronic idiopathic constipation has symptoms of difficult or incomplete bowel movements. This medication may also be used for the treatment of constipation caused by narcotic or opiate-type medications. It occurs in people with on-going pain due to medical conditions other than cancer. Lubiprostone may improve symptoms of:
- Abdominal discomfort or bloating
- Lessen the need to strain
- Improve stool texture
- Lessen the feeling of not completely relieving oneself
How does Lubiprostone work?
Lubiprostone works by increasing the fluid secretion in the intestine. This increases the motility in the intestine which helps the passage of stools. It is through the bowel and relieves the symptoms of constipation.
Why use Lubiprostone?
Lubiprostone belongs to the class of medications called chloride change activators. This helps increase the amount of fluid within your intestines that makes the passage of stool easier. In 2006, this prescription has approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Lubiprostone comes as a capsule for oral administration. This is available as 8 mcg capsule that contains Lubiprostone as an active ingredient.
How to use Lubiprostone?
The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition and response. Do not change the dosage. Follow the prescription very carefully. Use it regularly to get the most benefit from it.
This medication is to be taken by mouth usually twice a day. Swallow the capsule as a whole with a full glass of water. Take this medication with food. Do not break or chew the medicine. Don’t forget to take each dose at the same time each day. Do not suddenly stop taking this medication without consulting your doctor. Let your doctor know if your condition does not improve if it gets worse.
What are the side effects of Lubiprostone?
- Stomach pain
- Dry mouth
- Runny nose
- Back or joint pain
- Trouble sleeping
Warnings and Precautions
- Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you have any medical history or current medications. Tell as well if you have any allergies or if you are allergic to this drug.
- If you have a liver disease your doctor may recommend you to take this once a day.
- Do not share this with others even if they have the same symptoms as yours.
- If you feel you have an allergic reaction, stop using this drug and call your doctor right away.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding women, consult your doctor first.