Lenvatinib is used to treat acertain kinds of cancer such as:
- A type of cancer that is progressing and can nolonger be treated with radioactive iodine called Differentiated thyroid cancer(DTC)
- A type of liver cancer called hepatocellularcarcinoma (HCC)
- A type of kidney cancer called advanced renal cellcarcinoma (RCC)
This medication may be used aloneor with other medications to treat a certain condition.
Howdoes Lenvatinib work?
Lenvatinib targets and binds tothe tyrosine kinase receptors. They inhibit vascular epidermal growth factorreceptor and vascular endothelial growth factor. This medication also preventsother kinase receptors that have been implicated in tumor growth, pathogenic angiogenesis,and cancer progression. In addition to their normal cellular functions, itincludes platelet-derived growth, fibroblast growth factor receptors, and KITand RET on the surface of the cell. By binding to these receptors, Lenvatinibblocks important pathways that promote cell division.
Lenvatinib is known as tyrosinekinase inhibitors. These blocks the action of an abnormal protein that signalscancer cells to grow and develop. This is a prescription approved by the Foodand Drug Administration (FDA). Lenvatinib comes as a capsule for oral use thatcontains 4 mg or 10 mg of Lenvatinib mesylate. It is a white to pale reddishyellow powder that is slightly soluble in water.
Howto use Lenvatinib?
The recommended dosage is basedon your medical condition and response. It is very important that you followthe directions that are given by your doctor. Do not take more or less than theprescription.
Lenvatinib is to be taken bymouth. Swallow the capsule as a whole with a full glass of water. Usually, thismedicine is taken once a day. You may take each dose with or without a meal. Tohelp you remember, take it at the same time every day.
Whatare the side effects of Lenvatinib?
- Muscle or joint pain
- Weight loss
- Decreased appetite
- Abdominal pain
- Mouth pain
- Swelling of the feet or hands
- Dry mouth
- Changes in the sense of taste
- Hair loss
- Lack of energy or weakness
- Before taking this medicine, tell your doctor ifyou have a medical history, current medication, or allergies.
- Do not use this to treat another condition withoutthe permission of your doctor.
- For those women who are pregnant or may becomepregnant, you should not handle this medication or breathe the dust from thecapsule.
- This is not recommended for use in breastfeedingwomen.