Ketoconazole Cream is indicatedfor the treatment of skin infections such as:
- Jock itch
- Athlete’s foot
- Certain kinds of dandruff
This medication may also be usedto treat a skin condition known as Pityriasis or tinea versicolor. It is afungal infection that causes a lightening or darkening of the skin of the chest,neck, legs, or arms.
Howdoes Ketoconazole Cream work?
Ketoconazole exerts its effect byaltering the fungal cell membrane. This inhibits ergosterol synthesis byinteracting with 14-alpha-demethylase. It is a cytochrome P-450 enzyme that isneeded for the conversion of lanosterol and ergosterol and an essentialcomponent of the membrane. Other actions may involve inhibition of purineuptake and impairment of triglyceride and phospholipid biosynthesis. At higherconcentrations, this medication may have a direct physiochemical effect on thefungal cell membrane. It may lead to a fungicidal action.
Whyuse Ketoconazole Cream?
Ketoconazole Cream is for topicaladministration and is an antifungal medication. This contains thebroad-spectrum synthetic antifungal agent. Ketoconazole Cream is formulated inan aqueous cream vehicle. It also has sodium sulfite anhydrous, propyleneglycol, and purified water. This helps prevent fungus from growing on yourskin. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved thisprescription.
Howto use Ketoconazole Cream?
Ketoconazole Cream is to be usedon the skin only. This medication is applied usually once or twice a day. Washyour hands before and after applying the cream. Clean the affected area beforeuse and make sure to dry it well. Put a thin layer on the affected skin andgently rub it. Do not cover the affected area unless your doctor told you to doso.
Do not apply this medication inthe nose, eyes, or mouth. If it gets in the eyes, rinse thoroughly with water. Rememberto apply it at the same time each day. Tell your doctor if your condition doesnot improve or if it gets worse.
Whatare the side effects of Ketoconazole Cream?
- Skin dryness, redness, pain, rash, or swelling
- Dry, cracked, or scaly skin
- Crusting, blistering, irritation, or itching ofthe skin
- Swelling and redness at the site of application
- Even if the symptoms disappear after startingusing Ketoconazole Cream, continue to use it up until the given amount isfinished. If you suddenly stop the medication it may allow the fungus tocontinue to grow.
- Let your doctor know if you are allergic to it. Ifthere are any signs of an allergic reaction, call for medical help right away.
- Do not share this with others and do not takeanyone else’s prescription.
- Keep this at a dry place and at room temperature.Do not refrigerate or freeze.