Isoniazid General Information
Isoniazid Tablet is indicated to treat active tuberculosis (TB). It is used with other medication. It may also be used alone to prevent active TB infections in people who may be infected with the bacteria. It is through a positive TB skin test.
Active tuberculosis is a condition in which the body’s immune system is unable to fight off. It may also be unable to defend against the Mycobacterium tuberculosis bacterium. It causes an infection of the lungs.
How does Isoniazid Tablet work?
Isoniazid Tablet works by killing the bacteria that causes the disease. It is thought to prevent the tuberculosis bacteria from creating substances called mycolic acids. These are needed to form the cell walls of the bacteria. it may also be by combining with an enzyme that interferes with the cell metabolism of the bacteria. As a result, a disruption in its metabolism and without a cell wall, the bacteria will die.
Why use Isoniazid Tablet?
Isoniazid Tablet belongs to the class of medications called antibiotic. It is supplied as tablets for oral use. Each tablet is available in the strengths of 100 mg and 300 mg. this drug is chemically known as isonicotinyl hydrazine or isonicotinic acid hydrazide. FDA has already approved this prescription.
How to use Isoniazid Tablet?
Isoniazid Tablet is to be taken bymouth. It is usually taken on an empty stomach. It may be an hour before or 2hours after meals. The dosage is based on your condition, age, weight, and response.
It is important to take it at thesame time and on the same way each day. Take it regularly to get the mostbenefit from it. Let your doctor know if your condition persists or get worse.
What are the side-effects of Isoniazid Tablet?
- Upset stomach
- Numbness and tingling in the extremities
Call for medical help if thereare signs of an allergic reaction:
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of your lips, face, throat, or tongue
Warnings and Precautions
- Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you have any allergies. Tell also if you have any medical history or current medications.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages. It may increase the risk of liver disease.
- Consult your doctor first if you are pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- This drug treats only bacterial infections. It will not work for viral infections such as flu or a common cold.
- It may lead to its decreased effectiveness if it is misused.