Imodium (Loperamide Hydrochloride)
Imodium (Loperamide Hydrochloride) is indicated for the treatment of sudden diarrhea. It includes traveler’s diarrhea – a digestive tract disorder that commonly causes loose tools and abdominal cramps. This medication lessens the number of bowel movements and makes the stool less watery.
This prescription may be used to reduce the amount of discharge. It is in patients who have undergone an ileostomy. It may also be used to treat on-going diarrhea in people with inflammatory bowel disease.
How does Imodium (Loperamide Hydrochloride) work?
Imodium (Loperamide Hydrochloride) works by slowing down the muscular contractions of the intestine. It reduces the speed at which the gut contents are pushed through the intestines. It also allows more time for water and electrolytes to be reabsorbed back into the body. It results in firmer stools that are passed less frequently.
Why use Imodium (Loperamide Hydrochloride)?
Imodium contains an active ingredient of Loperamide Hydrochloride. It belongs to the class of medications called antidiarrheals. It helps to slow down the movement of the gut. This is supplied as a capsule for oral administration. It is available in 2 mg capsule. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
How to use Imodium (Loperamide Hydrochloride)?
The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition and response. It is important to take it exactly as it is prescribed. Remember to take it at the same time and in the same way each day. Do not take more often or more than the prescription.
This medication is to be taken by mouth usually after each loose stool. Take it with a full glass of water. Swallow it as a whole. Do not break or chew the capsule.
What are the side-effects of Imodium (Loperamide Hydrochloride)?
Common side effects:
- Skin rash
- Stomach pain
Tell your doctor if you experience serious side effects such as:
- Severe nausea, vomiting, and constipation
- Uncomfortable fullness of the stomach or abdomen
If these side effects persist or worsen, call your doctor right away.
Warnings and Precautions
- Before taking this prescription, tell your doctor if you are allergic to it. Tell also if you have any allergies or current medication or treatments.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding women, talk to your doctor first before taking it.
- If you missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember it. Do not twice the prescribed dosage. But if it is almost time for your next dose, never mind the missed dose.
- Keep this away from the reach of children or pets.