Fluoxetine HCL is indicated totreat:
A panic attack is a quick incidenceof extreme fear. That it triggers severe physical reactions when there is no realdanger or apparent cause. This can be very frightening that when it occurs, youmight think you are losing control or having a heart attack. Some people haveonly once or twice panic attacks in their lifetime. The problem goes awayperhaps when a stressful situation ends. Even though panic attacks themselvesare not life-threatening, they can be frightening and considerably affect your qualityof life.
Depression causes a constant feelingof sadness and loss of interest. It affects how you think, feel, and behavethat can lead to a variety of emotional and physical problems. You may have difficultydoing normal day-to-day activities. Sometimes, you may also feel as if life isn’tworth living. Depression may requirelong-term treatment. But don’t get discouraged.
People with Obsessive-compulsivedisorder can have either obsessive thoughts and urges or repetitive behaviors. Someboth have obsessions and compulsions. This commonly affects adults,adolescents, and children. Most people are diagnosed at the age of 19. Typically,it affects an earlier age of onset in boys than in girls but onset after age 35does happen.
Bulimia nervosa is a potentially life-threateningeating disorder. People with this condition may secretly binge by eating largeamounts of foods with a loss of control over the eating. They may purge andtrying to get rid of the extra calories in an unhealthy way. You are probably preoccupiedwith your weight and body shape if you have bulimia. You may judge yourselfseverely and harshly for your self-perceived flaws. Bulimia can be hard toovercome but effective treatment can help you feel better about yourself. Effectivetreatment can also adopt healthier eating patterns and reverse seriouscomplications.
Fluoxetine HCL belongs to the class of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). This may help improve your sleep, mood, appetite, and energy level. This may as well lessen unwanted thoughts, fear, anxiety, and the number of panic attacks. Fluoxetine HCL helps restore your interest in daily living. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication. This product is supplied as a capsule for oral use. Each capsule is available in the dosage forms of 10 mg, 20 mg, or 40 mg.
How does Fluoxetine HCL work?
Fluoxetine HCL works by increasingthe activity of a neurotransmitter called serotonin in the brain. Neurotransmittersare natural body chemicals that act as chemical messengers between the nervecells. Serotonin is aneurotransmitter known to be involved in regulating mood, emotions, andbehavior. In mental health disorders, there is a decreased amount of serotoninreleased from nerve cells in the brain. This medication stops theserotonin that has been released from being reabsorbed back into the nervecells in the brain. This helps to prolong its effects and over time this helpsto lighten the mood and relieve mental health disorders.
How to use Fluoxetine HCL?
The recommended dosage is basedon your medical condition, age, and response to the treatment. Your doctor maydirect you to start at a lower dose and eventually increase it. You should takethe right dose, not more or less. Remember to take it at the same time and inthe same way each day. Do not suddenly stop taking this medication without theconsent of your doctor. It may cause another complication or may worsen yourcurrent condition. For the best benefit from this product, take it regularly.
Fluoxetine HCL is to be taken bymouth usually once a day in the morning or as directed by your doctor. If youare taking it twice, you may take each in the morning and at noon. You may takeeach dose with or without a meal. Swallow the tablet as a whole with a fullglass of water. Do not break, chew, or crush it. Drink plenty of fluids whilehaving this medication. Doing so may lessen the risk of certain side effects. Ifyou missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember it. If it is almost time foryour next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule.Do not double the dose to make up for the missed dose. Let your doctor know ifyour condition does not improve or if it gets worse.
What are the side effects of Fluoxetine HCL?
Common side effects:
- Upset stomach
- Sleep problems
- Heart palpitations
- Loss or increased appetite
- Weight changes
- Dry mouth
- Cold symptoms (sneezing or sore throat)
- Decreased sex drive
Call your doctor right away if you have:
- Blurred or tunnel vision
- Eye pain or swelling
- High levels of serotonin in the body
- Low levels of sodium in the body
- Severe nervous system reaction
- Severe skin reaction
Warnings and Precautions
- Before taking Famotidine, tell your doctor if youare allergic to it. This may not be recommended for use if you have a historyof an allergic reaction. Tell as well if you have any allergies. This drug maycontain an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- Be sure to tell your doctor if you are taking anyother medications such as vitamins or herbal supplements.
- This drug may make you dizzy or drowsy. Alcoholcan make you dizzier. Do not use any machinery or do anything that needs youralertness until you can do it safely. Avoid alcoholic beverages.
- Before starting this treatment, discuss with yourdoctor about fertility. Your ability to become pregnant or father a child maybe affected.
- Consult your doctor first if you are breastfeedingwomen.
- You should not share this with others even if theyhave the same symptoms as yours.
- Let your doctor know if you have a medical historyof liver problems, diabetes, or stomach or intestinal ulcers.
- Keep this far from the reach of children.