Metronidazole General Information
Flagyl (Metronidazole) is used to kill any bacteria in the body that are causing infection. This medication is effective against anaerobic bacteria and certain parasites. Anaerobic bacteria are single-celled. They are living organisms that thrive in environments in which there is little oxygen. These bacteria may cause disease in the abdomen, pelvis, and liver. This medication selectively blocks some of the functions within the bacterial cells. It will also block the parasites that may result in their death.
Howdoes Flagyl (Metronidazole) work?
Flagyl (Metronidazole) prevents nucleic acid synthesis.It is by disrupting the DNA of microbial cells. This function only happens when this drug is partly reduced. And withthis decrease, it frequently occurs only in anaerobic bacteria and protozoans. Ithas relatively little effect on human cells or aerobic bacteria.
This drug only treats certain bacterialand parasitic infections. This will not work for a viral infection such as fluor a common cold.
Whyuse Flagyl (Metronidazole)?
Metronidazole is an antibacterial drug. It is classified as a broad-spectrum antibiotic. This comes as a tablet that has Metronidazole as an active ingredient. This is available in 250 mg or 500 mg for oral use. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this drug.
Howto use Flagyl (Metronidazole)?
Flagyl (Metronidazole) is to be takenby mouth with a full glass of water. It is to be taken exactly as it isprescribed. Take the drug with food or milk to prevent upset stomach.
Take this antibiotic at evenlyspaced times for the best effect. Remember to take the medicine at the sametime each day. Continue to take it until the full prescribed amount isfinished. Stopping the medication suddenly may result in a return of the infection.
Whatare the side-effects of Flagyl (Metronidazole)?
- Abdominal cramps
- Stomach upset
- Weight loss
- Dry mouth
- Dark-colored urine
- If you become pregnant while taking this medication, inform your doctor right away.
- Do not drink alcohol or consume medicines that have propylene glycol while taking this medication.
- Let your doctor know if you have any medical history, or current medications.
- This drug should only be used when clearly needed during pregnancy.
- This medication passes into breast milk. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor before breastfeeding.
- You should not change or double the dosage without consulting your doctor.
- Keep this drug far from the reach of children.