Diclofenac Sodium is a prescription approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This is a type of medicine called a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Diclofenac Sodium is used to relieve pain and inflammation in a wide range of conditions including:
This isthe most common form of arthritis which affects millions of people. It happenswhen the protective cartilage that cushions the ends of your bones wears downover time. Although this condition can damage any joint, it most commonlyaffects joints in your knees, hands, hips, and spine. Osteoarthritis symptomsfrequently progress slowly and get worse over time. Signs and symptoms mayinclude:
- Loss of flexibility
- Bone spurs
- Grating sensation
This is achronic inflammatory disorder that can affect more than just your joints. Forsome people, it can damage a wide variety of body systems. The inflammationassociated with rheumatoid arthritis is what can damage other parts of the bodyalso. Signs and symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis may include:
- Warm, tender, and swollen joints
- Fatigue, fever, and loss of appetite
- Joint stiffness that is usually worse in the mornings and after inactivity
Thiscondition is characterized by sudden and severe attacks of pain, swelling, andtenderness in the joints. An attack of gout can happen suddenly. It may bewaking you up in the middle of the night with the sensation that your big toeis on fire. The affected joint is swollen and hot. It is so tender as well thateven the weight of the sheet on it may seem intolerable. Gout symptoms may comeand go. But, there are ways to manage symptoms and prevent flares. Some signsand symptoms of gout may include:
- Lingering discomfort
- Intense joint pain
- Limited range of motion
- Inflammation and redness
Thiscondition may cause severe throbbing pain or a pulsing sensation. It usuallyoccurs on one side of the head. Migraine is often accompanied by vomiting,nausea, and extreme sensitivity to light and sound. Migraine attacks can lastfor hours to days. The pain can be so severe that it interferes with your dailyactivities. Medications can help prevent some migraines and make them lesspainful. The right medicines combined with self-help remedies and lifestylechanges might help as well. For some people, a warning symptom known as an auraoccurs before or with the headaches. An aura includes visual disturbances likeblind spots, tingling on one side of the face, and difficulty speaking.
DiclofenacSodium helps lessen the symptoms and helps you do more of your normal dailyactivities. This comes as a tablet for oral use. Each is available in thedosage form of 50 mg.
How doesDiclofenac Sodium work?
DiclofenacSodium works by stopping an enzyme in the body called cyclo-oxygenase (COX)from working.
If youhave an injury or a condition like arthritis, the COX in your body usuallycreates substances called prostaglandins. Prostaglandins cause swelling, pain,and inflammation. This medication stops COX from making these prostaglandinsand reduces inflammation and pain.
DiclofenacSodium will start to relieve pain and inflammation after a single dose. But,its anti-inflammatory effect will continue to build up over a few weeks oftaking it regularly.
How touse Diclofenac Sodium?
Thedosage of Diclofenac Sodium will depend on your medical condition. Your doctormay instruct you to start at a lower dose. Do not take more or less than theprescription. You must take Diclofenac Sodium exactly as it is given by yourdoctor.
DiclofenacSodium is to be taken by mouth as directed by your doctor. You may take eachdose with or without food. Do not lie down for at least 10 minutes after takinga dose. It is important to continue taking this even if you feel well. Do notsuddenly stop taking Diclofenac Sodium without the consent of your doctor. Takethis medicine at the same time and in the same way each day. With a full glassof water, swallow the medicine as a whole. Do not chew, break, or crush it.Drink plenty of fluids while having this treatment. Doing so may lessen therisk of certain side effects. If you missed a dose, take it as soon as youremember it. Skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule ifit is nearly time for your next dose. Do not double the dose to make up for themissed dose.
What arethe side effects of Diclofenac Sodium?
- Stomach pain
- Upset stomach
Tell yourdoctor right away if you have these side effects:
- Sudden or unexplained weight gain
- Swelling of the ankles, hands or feet
- Unusual tiredness
- Signs of kidney problems such as changes in the amount of urine
- This medication causes drowsiness, dizziness, or visual disturbances. Do not drive or operate machinery until you know how it affects you and is sure it won’t affect your performance.
- It is usually fine to drink alcohol in moderation if you’re taking Diclofenac Sodium. Take note that long-term use or high doses of Diclofenac Sodium may have a risk of irritating the stomach lining and drinking alcohol more than the daily suggested limit.
- Do not take Diclofenac Sodium is you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
- Tell your doctor if you have any allergies or if you ever had an allergic reaction to this medication before.
- This is not recommended for use in people with severe liver failure or kidney failure, those in the last three months of pregnancy, who have heart disease, stroke, or poor blood circulation in legs or feet.
- Some people may need a lower dose or extra monitoring form your doctor when taking Diclofenac Sodium. Make sure you tell your doctor if you are over 65 years old and have ever had a disorder affecting your stomach or intestines.
- If you are breastfeeding women, consult your doctor first before taking this drug.