Bromocriptine Mesylate is for thetreatment of Parkinson’s disease. Parkinson’s disease is a movement disorder.It affects the nervous system and symptoms become worse over time. Most of thesymptoms develop and some people will have dementia. Here are some early signsand symptoms of Parkinson’s disease:
- There may be a tremor in the hands
- A reduced sense of coordination and balance thatcauses people to drop items they are holding
- The posture of the person may change, they leanforward slightly as if they were hurrying
- Facial expression can become fixed due to changesin the nerves that control facial muscles
- There may be a tremor in the voice or the personmay speak more softly than before
- Handwriting may become more cramped and smaller
- A loss of sense of smell can be an early sign
- Sleep problems
Other common symptoms mayinclude:
- Mood changes (Depression)
- Problems in urination
- Difficulty chewing and swallowing
- Skin problems
- Sleep problems
This medication may help youimprove your ability to move and may lessen slow movement, stiffness, andshakiness. This drug may as well be used for the treatment of:
- High levels of a certain hormone made by the bodycalled prolactin
- High levels of a growth hormone called acromegaly
Bromocriptine Mesylate is anergot medication that acts like a certain natural substance in the brain whichis called dopamine. This prevents the release of certain hormones – prolactinand growth hormone. Bromocriptine Mesylate can lower these hormone levels butit does not cure the causes of the increasing levels. The Food and DrugAdministration (FDA) has already approved this medication. This product issupplied as tablets for oral administration. Each tablet contains BromocriptineMesylate as an active ingredient. This is available in the dosage form of 5 mg.
Howdoes Bromocriptine Mesylate work?
Bromocriptine Mesylate works by stimulatingdopamine receptors in the brain. This is mainly used to treat disorders thatresult from high levels of the hormone prolactin in the blood. Prolactin isproduced by the pituitary gland in the brain. This drug lessens the productionof prolactin from the pituitary. It is by stimulating dopamine receptors. Ahigh prolactin level is associated with several conditions. Over-production ofthis hormone causes abnormal production of breast milk in both men and women.It also suppresses the sexual glands and may result in infertility. Decreasingthe production of prolactin can, therefore, improve these conditions.
Bromocriptine Mesylate action ondopamine receptors also decreases the production of growth hormone from thepituitary gland.
The neurotransmitter dopamine isknown to be reduced or absent in the brains of people with Parkinson’s disease.This is thought to be the cause of disease symptoms. Stimulating dopaminereceptors with this drug is similar to replacing the dopamine in the brain. Thislessens some of the diseases.
Howto use Bromocriptine Mesylate?
This prescription is to be takenby mouth. Usually, the dose is taken 1 or 2 times a day. Each dose is to betaken with food or as directed by your doctor. Swallow the tablet as a wholewith a full glass of water. Do not break, chew, or crush it. Doing so canrelease the entire drug at once, increasing the risk of side effects. Rememberto take it at the same time and in the same way each day. Take this medicineregularly for the best benefit.
The recommended dosage willdepend on your medical condition, age, and response to the treatment. You musttake this drug exactly as it is prescribed. You should not take this more orless than it is given by your doctor. Do not suddenly stop taking thismedication without the consent of your doctor. If you missed a dose, take it assoon as you remember it. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip themissed dose and follow your regular schedule. Inform your doctor if yourcondition gets worse or does not improve.
Whatare the side effects of Bromocriptine Mesylate?
Common side effects:
- Mild headache
- Spinning sensation
- Tired feeling
- Sleep problems or insomnia
- Stomach pain
- Upset stomach
- Loss of appetite
- Dry mouth
- Cold feeling or numbness in your fingers
- Stuffy nose
Tell your doctor if you haveserious side effects such as:
- Constant runny nose
- Vision problems
- Pain when you breathe
- Chest pain
- Rapid breathing
- Fast heart rate
- Shortness of breath
- Urinating less than usual or not at all
- Feeling like you might pass out
- Loss of balance or coordination
- Muscle movements that you cannot control
- Low blood sugar (headache, sweating, irritability,or trouble concentrating)
Call for medical assistance ifyou experience any signs of an allergic reaction such as:
- Hives or itching
- Trouble or difficulty breathing
- Swelling of your face, lips, throat, or tongue
- Before using Bromocriptine Mesylate, tell yourdoctor if you have a medical history of certain genetic enzyme problems, kidneyor liver disease, and heart disease.
- This drug may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not useany machinery or do anything that needs your alertness.
- While having this treatment, avoid alcoholicbeverages. Alcohol may increase drug levels.
- You should not share this or any of yourmedications with others even if they have the same symptoms as yours.
- Do not take this medication if you are allergic toit. This drug may contain some ingredients that cause an allergic reaction.
- Tell your doctor if you have any other medicationssuch as vitamins or herbal supplements.
- This drug can cause sleepiness and on rareoccasions, people have experienced a sudden onset of sleep during their dailyactivities.
- Use this medication with caution in people withdecreased liver function, with a history of peptic illness and psychiatricillness.
- This should not be used in children under 15 yearsof age.
- This should only be used when needed duringpregnancy. If you are breastfeeding women, consult your doctor first beforetaking a dose.
- Keep Bromocriptine Mesylate and your othermedications far from heat, moisture, and reach of children.