Bicnu (Carmustine) for Injection
Carmustine General Information
Bicnu (Carmustine) is indicated as palliative therapy as a single agent. This is used to treat the following:
- Multiple myeloma in combination with prednisone
- Relapsed or refractory Non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas and Hodgkin’s lymphoma in combination with other approved medications
- Brain tumors glioblastoma, medulloblastoma, brainstem glioma, astrocytoma, ependymoma, and metastatic brain tumors
How does Bicnu (Carmustine) work?
Bicnu (Carmustine) by stopping the cancer cells from growing. It does this by damaging and binding to the DNA in the cancer cells. This stops the cells from developing and increasing. This medication is used in the treatment of a wide range of cancers.
Why use Bicnu (Carmustine)?
Bicnu (Carmustine) belongs to the class of medications known as alkylating agents. This is administered by intravenous infusion after reconstitution, as recommended. This is available in 100mg single-dose vials of lyophilized material. Bicnu (Carmustine) has no pill form. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved this treatment.
How to use Bicnu (Carmustine)?
This medication is to be given by your doctor or by a healthcare professional. The recommended dosage is based on your condition, response, and body size. Your doctor will give you the dose and dosing schedule. This is usually given every 6weeks or as directed by your doctor. You may be given either a single injection or multiple injections over a 2-day period. You may also be given another medication to prevent nausea or vomiting. Inform your doctor if you feel any pain or burning around the IV needle when the medicine is injected.
What are the side-effects of Bicnu (Carmustine)?
- Injection site reactions (swelling, pain, redness, or darkened skin color)
Let your doctor know if you these serious side effects:
- Vision changes
- Dark urine
- Fast heartbeat
- Yellowing eyes or skin
- Severe stomach or abdominal pain
- Changes in the amount of urine
Some side effects may not occur until 4-6 weeks after the treatment.
Warnings and Precautions
- Before using this treatment, make sure you tell your doctor about any other medications you are taking like vitamins or herbal supplements. Do not take aspirin or any medications that have aspirin unless it is given to you by your doctor.
- You need to consult first your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- While using this treatment, get plenty of rest and maintain good nutrition.
- Avoid sun exposure. Wear protective clothing or a sunblock.