Baloxavir Marboxil (Xofluza) Tablets
Baloxavir Marboxil (Xofluza) is indicated for the treatment of flu or influenza. This is used if your symptoms started less than 48 hours ago. This helps make the symptoms less severe and may shorten the recovery time by 1-2 days. These are the symptoms of flu:
- Sore throat
- Stuffy nose
How does Baloxavir Marboxil (Xofluza) work?
Baloxavir Marboxil is a prodrug that is converted by hydrolysis to baloxavir. It is the active form that exerts anti-influenza virus activity. Baloxavir inhibits the endonuclease activity of the polymerase acidic (PA) protein. It is an influenza virus-specific enzyme in the viral RNA polymerase complex required for viral gene transcription. It results in the inhibition of influenza virus replication. Viruses with reduced susceptibility to baloxavir have amino acid substitutions in the PA protein.
Why use Baloxavir Marboxil (Xofluza)?
Baloxavir Marboxil (Xofluza) is an antiviral PA endonuclease inhibitor. This is for oral administration and is supplied as white to light yellow film-coated tablets. This medication works differently by targeting the flu at its source to stop viral replication. In October 2018, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved this treatment.
How to use Baloxavir Marboxil (Xofluza)?
The recommended dosage for this treatment depends on your condition, weight, and age.
- Adults weighing 80kg or more – 80mg as a single dose. Taken by mouth within 48hours of symptoms onset.
- Adults weighing 40-70kg – 40mg as a single dose.
- Children and Adolescents 12 years and older weighing 80kg or more – 80mg as a single dose. Given within 48hours of symptoms onset.
- Children and Adolescents 12 years and older weighing 40-79kg – 40mg as a single dose.
To avoid complications, follow your doctor’s prescription promptly.
What are the side-effects of Baloxavir Marboxil (Xofluza)?
Here are some of the side effects that may occur while using this medication:
- Common cold symptoms (nasopharyngitis)
Warnings and Precautions
- Let your doctor know if you have any allergies or current medications.
- Consult first if you are pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- Do not use this longer than prescribed.
- Do not take product that contains zinc, iron, calcium or magnesium may make this medication not work well.
- Tell your doctor if you develop new symptoms during or after the treatment.
- Keep this at a dry and clean place to avoid contamination.
- Keep this far from the reach of children or pets.