Avanafil is a prescription used for the treatment of erectile dysfunction (ED). ED is the inability to get and keep an erection firm enough for sex. Having erection trouble from time to time isn’t certainly a cause for concern. If ED is an ongoing issue, it can affect your self-confidence, cause stress, and contribute to relationship problems. Problems getting or keeping an erection can also be a sign of an underlying health condition that needs treatment and a risk factor for heart disease. Erectile dysfunction symptoms might include:
- Trouble keeping an erection
- Trouble getting an erection
- Reduced sexual desire
Malesexual arousal is a complex process that involves the brain, emotions,hormones, muscles, nerves, and blood vessels. ED can result from a problem withany of these. Also, stress and mental health concerns can cause or worsen ED.Sometimes a combination of physical and psychological issues causes erectiledysfunction. For instance, a minor physical condition that slows your sexualresponse might cause anxiety about maintaining an erection. The resultinganxiety can lead to or worsen erectile dysfunction. As you get older, erectionsmight take longer to develop and might not be as firm. You might need moredirect touch to your penis to get and keep an erection.
Avanafilis approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This medication iscalled a phosphodiesterase type-5 inhibitor. Avanafil prevents the action of achemical in the body called phosphodiesterase type-5. This increases blood flowto the penis to help a man get and keep an erection. This prescription comes asa tablet for oral use with the dosage strengths of 50 mg, 100 mg, or 200mg.
How doesAvanafil work?
Anerection is made through a complex chain of events. Wherein, it involvessignals from the nervous system and the release of chemical messengers withinthe tissues of the penis. One of these chemical messengers is called cyclicGMP. Cyclic GMP causes the blood vessels in the penis to widen. It is by relaxinga thin layer of muscle found in the blood vessel walls. This allows more bloodto enter the penis. This ultimately results in the penis becoming rigid anderect. Cyclic GMP is usually broken down by another chemical in the body calledphosphodiesterase type 5.
Avanafilworks by preventing the action of phosphodiesterase type 5. So, it stops thebreakdown of cyclic GMP. This means that the blood vessels are kept dilated forlonger, improving blood flow to the penis and maintaining an erection. AsAvanafil enhances the actions of the chemical messengers responsible forproducing an erection, it will only work once these messengers are present.This means that sexual stimulation is required for it to produce and maintainan erection. The dose should be taken approximately 30 minutes before youintend to have sex.
How touse Avanafil?
Take thismedication by mouth with or without food. This medication is taken usually asneeded or as directed by your doctor. This medicine is available in differentdoses. Before sexual activity, take Avanafil about 15 minutes or 30 minutesdepending on your dose. Follow your doctor’s instructions carefully on how manyminutes before sexual activity you should take this medication. Do not takemore than once daily. The tablet should be swallowed as a whole with a fullglass of water. Do not chew, break, or crush it. Drink plenty of fluids whilehaving this treatment. Doing so may lessen the risk of certain side effects. Ifyou missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember it. If it is almost time foryour next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule.Do not double the dose to make up for the missed dose.
Thedosage is based on your medical condition, response to the treatment, and othermedications you are taking. Let your doctor know if your condition does notimprove or if it gets worse.
What arethe side effects of Avanafil?
- Flushing (warmth or redness in your neck, face, or chest)
- Cold symptoms (runny nose, stuffy nose, sinus pain, or sore throat)
- Back pain
- Stomach upset
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- High blood pressure
- Joint pain
Stopusing this medication and call your doctor if these side effects occur:
- Sudden vision loss or vision changes
- Ringing in your ears or sudden hearing loss
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling in your hands or feet
- Swelling, pain, warmth, or redness in one or both legs
- Penis erection that is painful or lasts 4 hours or longer
Getemergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction such as:
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of your throat, lips, face, tongue, or
If otherside effects occur, call your doctor right away. If there are any signs of anoverdose, call for medical assistance as well.
- This medicine may cause dizziness and visual disturbances. You should make sure you are aware of your reactions to this medicine before driving or operating machinery.
- If you drink alcohol there is more chance of a drop in your blood pressure that might make you feel dizzy or faint. Also, alcohol can impair sexual performance.
- If your erection lasts longer than four hours, consult a doctor right away. Treatment of this condition should not be delayed more than six hours. This can cause damage to the erectile tissue in the penis and irreversible erectile dysfunction.
- After taking this medicine, if you do feel dizzy or lightheaded you should lie down until the symptoms pass.
- If you experience a sudden loss of vision in one or both eyes you should stop taking this medicine and consult your doctor right away.
- Avanafil should not be used children under 18 years of age, men with severely decreased liver or kidney function, those with angina, and heart failure.
- Use this caution in men over 70 years old, men with an active peptic ulcer, and with disease involving the heart and blood vessels.