Allopurinol General Information
Allopurinol (Zyloprim) is used for the treatment of gout and a certain type of kidney stones. This can also be used to stop increased uric acid levels. It is for patients who are receiving cancer chemotherapy. An increased uric acid level may cause kidney complications or gout.
How does Allopurinol (Zyloprim) work?
Allopurinol acts on purine catabolism without disrupting the biosynthesis of purines. It lessens the making of uric acid by inhibiting the biochemical reactions. This medication is a structural analog of the natural purine base and hypoxanthine. This lessens the amount of uric acid that is made by the body.
Why use Allopurinol (Zyloprim)?
Allopurinol (Zyloprim) is an inhibitor of xanthine oxidase. It is a substance in the body that is responsible for the product of uric acid. This can also be used to treat infections, seizures, and pain caused by pancreas disease. This is sometimes used to reduce ulcer relapses and prevent rejection of kidney transplants. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved this treatment. This is available here at its affordable price.
How to use Allopurinol (Zyloprim)?
The recommended dosage for this medication will depend on your condition. This is usually given once a day and taken by mouth. Take this medicine after a meal to reduce stomach upset. The initial dose is usually 100-200 mg a day. Follow your doctor’s prescription very carefully. Do not twice the given dose to avoid complications.
What are the side-effects of Allopurinol (Zyloprim)?
Here are some possible side effects that may happen while having this treatment:
- Muscle pain
- Changes in sense of taste
- Bleeding or pain when urinating
- Sore throat
- Upper stomach pain
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Red skin rash
- Flu symptoms
If these continue or get worse, call your doctor right away.
Warnings and Precautions
These are the things that you need to be watchful with while having his medication:
- Before taking Allopurinol (Zyloprim), tell your doctor if you are allergic to it. As well as if you have any allergies, medical history, or current medications.
- Avoid driving or do anything that needs your alertness. This may make you feel drowsy.
- Consult your doctor first if you are pregnant or breastfeeding women before using this.
- If an overdose occurs, call for medical help right away.
- Do not share this or any of your medication with others.
- Do not stop this medication without consulting.
- Keep this at a dry and a clean place.