Abatacept (Orencia) is used to treat autoimmune diseases. It interferes with the immune activity of T cells. Abatacept (Orencia) is a soluble solution. This is indicated for the inhibiting progression of structural damage and inducing major clinical response. This is also for lessening the signs and symptoms. And the improvement of physical function in the following conditions:
- Adult rheumatoid arthritis (RA)
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis
- Adult Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA)
Why use Abatacept (Orencia)?
Abatacept contains an active ingredient called Orencia. It is a type of medicine called selective immunosuppressant. It may prevent further damage to your bones and joints. It may also help your ability to perform daily activities. This may help you who are not getting the results they need with other medicines for RA. Abatacept has already been approved the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How does Abatacept (Orencia) work?
Abatacept (Orencia) works by blocking certain cells in the immune system. It also blocks certain proteins important in the process of T-cell activation. The activated T-cells signal other factors in the immune system to generate swelling. By stopping the T-cells from becoming activated, this medicine will lessen the number of inflammation signals of the body. Abatacept also modifies the process of inflammation.
How to use Abatacept (Orencia)?
Abatacept must be given gently when injected into a vein. It is usually given every 1-4 weeks. You may need to mix this with a diluent before using. The dosage may depend on your medical condition and history. Follow your doctor’s prescription promptly.
What are the side-effects of Abatacept (Orencia)?
The following are the possible side-effects that may happen while taking this medication.
- A runny nose and a sore throat
- A headache
- Flu-like symptoms
- Shortness of breath
- Fever and chills
- Skin rash or allergies
- Low blood pressure
- Stomach symptoms
If these side effects persist or worsen, seek for medical attention right away.
Warnings and Precautions
Here are things that you need to be precautious with while taking this medication:
- Before taking Abatacept (Orencia), tell your doctor if you:
- Have current infection
- Have diabetes, HIV, or weakened immune system
- Have Hepatitis B, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Are planning to become pregnant or already pregnant and breastfeeding
- Are scheduled to receive a vaccine
- Do not share this with others who have the same medical condition as yours.
- If any allergic reaction occurs, call your doctor right away.
- Keep this at a clean place to avoid infection.